Millet soup is a delicious soup made with foxtail millet. Made in an
Why you will love this recipe?
- Millet vegetable soup is versatile and can be customized to suit different tastes and dietary preferences. You can add a variety of vegetables, herbs, spices, and proteins to create a flavor profile that appeals to you.
Instant Potmillet soup has a comforting quality that can make it a satisfying meal option.
Ingredients and Substitutes
Foxtail millet: I use foxtail millet in this recipe. Other varieties of millet, like pearl millet, little millet, barnyard millet, and proso millet, can be used to make it.
Moong dal: (yellow lentils) This adds thickness to this hearty soup but is an optional ingredient and can be skipped.
Spices: I use garam masala, black pepper, and cumin powder.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Optional ingredients and variations
- I have skipped whole spices in this recipe. However, you can add bay leaf along with onions for this soup. Just remove it before blending.
- You can skip green chilies and use red pepper flakes instead.
- Other veggies that can be added to this soup are bell pepper, zucchini, mushroom, broccoli, cauliflower, spring onion, and sweet potatoes.
- Use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth in this recipe.
Step 1: Set the
Step 2: Add ginger, garlic cloves, and green chili. Saute for one minute. Add tomato, cumin powder, garam masala, salt, and vegetables (carrot, peas, beans). Saute for one minute (images 2 and 3).
Step 3: Next, add the soaked millet and moong dal (step 4).
Step 4: Add the vegetable stock and mix well. Deglaze the pot to make sure there are no stuck brown bits (image 5).
Step 5: Set the
Step 6: Blend the soup using an immersion blender. Whisk the yogurt well and add it to the soup (images 7 and 8). Finish with a dash of pepper powder.
Soak the foxtail millet overnight. At a minimum, soak it for 3-4 hours so that it can get cooked quickly.
Stock adds flavor and depth to the soup. You may use water to make it, but the soup will not be as delicious.
I have used carrots, peas, and green beans to make the millet soup. You can vary the type of vegetables used and their quantities as per your liking.
It is important to whisk the yogurt well before adding it. Also, add yogurt only after cooking the soup to prevent it from curdling.
What to serve with millet soup?
Millet soup can be enjoyed on its own as a complete meal, but if you're looking to serve it with accompaniments, here are a few options:
Bread: Serve it with crusty bread or a whole-grain loaf.
Salad: Pair millet soup with a refreshing salad to add some crunch and freshness to the meal.
Roasted Vegetables: Serving roasted vegetables alongside millet soup for a well-rounded meal. Roasted root vegetables like roasted carrots, roasted sweet potatoes, and roasted beets can add a nice sweetness and texture contrast to the soup.
Foxtail millet is a gluten-free grain widely used in India. It is called kangni or kakum in Hindi, navane in Kannada, korra in Telugu, thinai in Tamil, and kang in Gujarati. This grain can be cooked similarly to rice and is a good substitute for rice. It is widely used in India, China, and Africa.
Yes. Follow this recipe and cook for 3 whistles in a stovetop pressure cooker.
I use foxtail millet in this recipe. Other millets like pearl millet, little millet, barnyard millet, and proso millet also can be used to make the soup.
This recipe is not vegan, as I am using yogurt. To make it vegan, you can skip yogurt or use cashew yogurt.
More Soup recipes
If you tried this Millet Soup Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Instant Pot Millet Soup
- ¾ cup foxtail millet
- ¼ cup moong dal (yellow lentils)
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger grated
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala (use store-bought or homemade garam masala)
- ¼ cup peas
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 5-6 green beans chopped
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup yogurt whisked
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon crushed pepper
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
- Soak foxtail millet for 3-4 hours
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and heat oil
- Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes (until it is translucent)
- Add ginger, garlic, and green chili. Saute for one minute
- Add tomato, cumin powder, garam masala, salt, and vegetables (carrot, peas, beans)
- Saute for one minute
- Drain the water from the soaked millet. Wash the moong dal
- Add the soaked millet, moong dal, and vegetable stock. Mix well
- Secure the lid of the IP and set it to soup mode. Cook for 20 minutes
- Release the pressure naturally and open the lid
- Blend the soup using an immersion blender
- Whisk the yogurt well and add it to the soup
- Add crushed pepper and coriander leaves
- Millet soup is ready to be served