Instant Pot millet soup step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Millet soup is a healthy, nutritious, and delicious soup made with foxtail millet. Made in an Instant Pot, this soup is ready in 30 minutes (with only 10 minutes of hands-on time). This gluten-free one-pot meal can be served as a wholesome dinner and are perfect for cold nights. It also makes a great savory breakfast the next morning, keeping you full longer.
There are so many variations to this recipe - use the millet you like, add the vegetables you have on hand, make it vegan, vegetarian, or even add some meat! Not a millet fan? Use quinoa instead! There are a plethora of combinations and no fixed rules.
I have earlier shared how to make khichdi with millets. Here is my recipe for this hearty, nourishing, creamy soup. Read on for ingredients, their substitutes, useful tips, and the recipe video.
Foxtail millet and its benefits
Foxtail millet is a gluten-free grain widely used in India. It is called kangni or kakum in Hindi, navane in Kannada, korra in Telugu, thinai in Tamil, and kang in Gujarati. It can be cooked similar to rice and is a good substitute for rice. It is widely used in India, China, and Africa.
Foxtail millet is very nutritious and is associated with several health benefits. It is rich in fiber, vitamins, iron, and antioxidants. It is widely used for blood sugar control as it has a low glycemic index (GI). Foxtail millet is suitable for gluten intolerance or if you are following a gluten-free diet.
Ingredients and Substitutes
Foxtail millet: I use foxtail millet in this recipe. Other millets like pearl millet, little millet, barnyard millet, and proso millet also can be used to make it.
Moong dal: (yellow lentils) This adds thickness to the soup, but is an optional ingredient and can be skipped.
Vegetables: I use carrots, beans, peas, and tomatoes. You may use any vegetables of your choice.
Onion, ginger, and garlic: These make the base of the soup and add a lot of flavors. You may skip onion and garlic for a no-onion/garlic version.
Spices: I use garam masala and cumin powder.
Vegetable stock: Use stock for the best-tasting soup. I have vegetable stock; however, you can also use chicken stock to make this soup.
Step by step instructions
1. Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and heat oil. Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes (until it is translucent).
2. Add ginger, garlic, and green chili. Saute for one minute.
3. Add tomato, cumin powder, garam masala, salt, and vegetables (carrot, peas, beans).
4. Add the soaked millet, moong dal, and vegetable stock. Mix well.
5. Set the Instant Pot in Soup mode and cook for 20 minutes. Do a natural release of the pressure.
6. Blend the soup using an immersion blender.
7. Whisk the yogurt well and add it to the soup. Mix well and serve.
Soak the foxtail millet overnight. At a minimum, soak it for 3-4 hours. This will not only help reduce the phytates but it will also be cooked quickly.
Stock adds flavor and depth to the soup. You may use water to make it, but the soup will not be as delicious.
I have used carrot, peas, and green beans to make the millet soup. You can vary the type of vegetables used and their quantities as per your liking.
It is important to whisk the yogurt well before adding. Also, add yogurt only after cooking the soup to prevent it from curdling.
Click here for more one-pot meal recipes.
Yes. Follow this recipe and cook for 3 whistles in a stovetop pressure cooker.
I use foxtail millet in this recipe. Other millets like pearl millet, little millet, barnyard millet, and proso millet also can be used to make the soup.
This recipe is not vegan as I am using yogurt. To make it vegan, you can skip yogurt or use cashew yogurt.
This Instant Pot millet soup is:
- healthy, nutritious, and delicious
- very filling
- easy to make and suitable for beginners
Instant Pot Millet Soup
- ¾ cup foxtail millet
- ¼ cup moong dal (yellow lentils)
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger grated
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ cup peas
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 5-6 green beans chopped
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup yogurt whisked
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon crushed pepper
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
- Soak foxtail millet for 3-4 hours
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and heat oil
- Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes (until it is translucent)
- Add ginger, garlic, and green chili. Saute for one minute
- Add tomato, cumin powder, garam masala, salt, and vegetables (carrot, peas, beans)
- Saute for one minute
- Drain the water from the soaked millet. Wash the moong dal
- Add the soaked millet, moong dal, and vegetable stock. Mix well
- Secure the lid of the IP and set it to soup mode. Cook for 20 minutes
- Release the pressure naturally and open the lid
- Blend the soup using an immersion blender
- Whisk the yogurt well and add it to the soup
- Add crushed pepper and coriander leaves
- Millet soup is ready to be served