Spinach soup step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Simple and hearty spinach soup that is fresh, vibrant, and nutritious is perfect for cold evenings. This Indian vegetarian soup can be put together in less than 20 minutes and is made with warm spices. It is a great way to enjoy greens and is packed with flavors.
I am making this wholesome palak soup or palak shorba using frozen spinach. The spices I use are garam masala, bay leaf, and black pepper. Top this warm and wholesome soup with breadsticks or serve it as a complete meal with grilled cheese. Pair it with this paneer sandwich or grilled paneer salad comforting weeknight dinner. Perfect for chilly weather!
Smooth and creamy spinach soup with a nice garlicky kick is not something you want to miss! This palak soup is loved by kids too and it freezes really well. Making this soup in the Instant Pot is a breeze - just saute, pressure cook, and blend. I am also including stovetop instructions to make it.
Read on for ingredients, cooking methods, and useful tips to make this hearty, warm palak soup. Also, check out this recipe to make wholesome curried butternut squash soup in the Instant Pot.
Spinach: I use frozen spinach in this recipe. If you use fresh spinach, clean and chop it before using it (see the tips section).
Onion and garlic: They form the base and add lots of flavor to the soup. Add more garlic for an intense garlicky taste.
Butter: I like to use butter in this recipe. However, any regular cooking oil can be used.
Spices: I use garam masala, bay leaf, and black pepper.
Vegetable stock: This can be substituted with chicken stock or just water.
Cream: This adds richness and creamy texture. You can substitute it with half-and-half or whole milk. For a vegan version, you can use coconut cream.
Cornstarch: Cornstarch slurry is used to thicken the soup.
Heat butter and add garlic and bay leaf. Saute for one minute (step 1). Add onions and saute for 4-5 minutes, until it begins to brown (step 2).
Next, add the frozen spinach, garam masala, sugar, pepper, and salt. Add the vegetable stock. Mix well and deglaze the pot (step 3).
Secure the IP lid, cancel the saute mode and set it to pressure cook mode for 5 minutes (step 4).
Once the Instant Pot beeps, do a quick release of pressure. Take the bay leaf out of the soup (step 5).
Blend it using an immersion blender until it is smooth (step 6).
Put the Instant Pot back in saute mode. Add cream and cornstarch slurry (step 7).
Simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the soup thickens (step 8).
To make this soup on a stovetop:
- Heat butter in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add garlic and bay leaf. Saute for one minute.
- Next, add onion and saute on medium heat until the onions begin to brown.
- Add the frozen spinach, spices (garam masala, ground black pepper), sugar, and salt.
- Add two cups of stock and one cup of water. Mix well.
- Bring it to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and blend the soup using an immersion blender.
- Add cream and cornstarch slurry.
- Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Top the soup with breadsticks and cream. Serve warm.
If you want to use fresh spinach, you will need around 2 cups of cleaned and chopped spinach. In that case, reduce the pressure cooking time to 2-3 minutes.
I like to use butter as it adds richness to the soup. However, you may replace it with any cooking oil of your choice.
The cream can be substituted with half-and-half or whole milk. For a vegan version, you can use coconut cream.
You may also like:
1. Lentil soup recipe.
2. Millet soup.
3. Butternut squash soup.
4. Vegetable Manchow soup.
5. Indian-style quinoa soup.
Click here for more soup recipes.
This soup pairs very well with grilled cheese, paneer sandwich, roasted vegetables, and salad.
This soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It also freezes well and can be frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, place the soup in a saucepan and simmer on low heat. You can adjust the consistency as needed when reheating.
This palak soup is:
- wholesome, healthy, and nutritious,
- perfect for chilly weather,
- very easy to make and ready in less than 20 minutes.
Spinach Soup / Palak Soup
- 10 oz frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add butter.
- Once it melts, add bay leaf and garlic. Saute for one minute.
- Add onions and saute for 4-5 minutes, until it begins to brown.
- Add the frozen spinach, garam masala, salt, and pepper.
- Add the vegetable stock. Mix well and deglaze the pot.
- Secure the IP lid, cancel the saute mode and set it to pressure cook mode for 5 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps, do a quick release of pressure.
- Take the bay leaf out of the soup. Blend it using an immersion blender until it is smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with ¼ cup of water. Mix well to form a slurry.
- Set the Instant Pot back to saute mode.
- Add the cornstarch slurry to the Instant Pot along with the cream.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with breadsticks or grilled cheese.
Leave a Reply