Curried butternut squash soup step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Hearty, flavorful, and delicious butternut squash soup is perfect for a cold chilly night. This squash soup recipe uses warming and healing spices and is so healthy and nourishing. It is light on the stomach and oh-so-easy to make.
Serve piping hot curried soup with naan or any crusty bread for a perfect fall dinner. This creamy butternut squash curried soup is light on the stomach and it comes together in less than 30 minutes.
Making this soup in the Instant Pot is a breeze - just saute, pressure cook, and blend. I am also including stovetop instructions to make it.
The spices I use to make it are loaded with health benefits. Garam masala, which is a blend of several spices, is known to provide warmth to the body, aid digestion, and provide strong antioxidants. Ground coriander (or coriander powder) is known for its properties to reduce inflammation. Turmeric helps fight the cold, cough, flu, and viral infections.
Read on for ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and useful tips to make this hearty, creamy, and delicious curry butternut squash soup.
Butternut squash: Wash, peel, and cut them into cubes.
Onion, ginger, and garlic: They form the base and add lots of flavor to the soup.
Coconut oil: I like to use coconut oil to make this soup. However, any regular cooking oil can be used.
Spices: I use ground turmeric, ground coriander, garam masala, and chili powder.
Vegetable stock: This can be substituted with chicken stock or just water.
Coconut milk: This adds richness and creamy texture to the soup.
Garnish: I make curry leaves tempered in oil to garnish the soup. I also top the soup with roasted pumpkin seeds. They are optional and can be skipped.
How to make butternut squash soup in Instant Pot
Heat coconut oil. Add onion, ginger, and garlic. Saute for 4-5 minutes (steps 1,2).
Add the butternut squash cubes, spices (ground coriander, garam masala, ground turmeric, and chili powder), and salt. Mix well and saute for 2-3 minutes (step 3).
Add the vegetable stock. Mix well and deglaze the pot (step 4).
Secure the IP lid and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode for 6 minutes (step 5).
Once the Instant Pot beeps, do a quick release of the pressure. Open the lid and blend the soup using an immersion blender (step 6).
Set the Instant Pot on saute mode and stir in the coconut milk. Let it simmer for 1-2 minutes (steps 7,8).
Dry roast the pumpkin seeds until they are crispy. Set them aside (step 9).
In a small pan, heat one teaspoon of oil and add mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add the curry leaves. Saute for 10 seconds and turn off the heat (step 10).
Cancel the saute mode and add the prepared curry leaves oil. Mix well (steps 11,12).
To make this soup on a stovetop:
- Heat coconut oil in a thick bottom pan.
- Add onion, ginger, and garlic. Saute on medium heat until the onions begin to brown.
- Add the butternut squash cubes, spices (ground coriander, garam masala, ground turmeric, and chili powder), and salt.
- Add two cups of stock and one cup of water. Mix well.
- Bring it to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes (until the squash is fully cooked).
- Turn off the heat and blend the soup using an immersion blender.
- Let it simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Make the garnish (see steps above). Top them on the soup and serve warm.
Butternut squash can be substituted with sugar pumpkin in this recipe.
I am making a curry leaves oil garnish to add extra flavor to the soup. This is optional and can be skipped; although I highly recommend making the curry leaves oil.
I am using coconut milk here. You can replace it with evaporated milk or use any dairy-free milk.
You can use either store-bought or homemade coconut milk. Making coconut milk at home is very easy - grind ½ cup of freshly grated coconut with 1 to 1½ cups of lukewarm water. Pass it through a muslin cloth or nut milk bag.
Serve this comforting soup with this delicious caprese flatbread for a wholesome meal.
This soup pairs very well with grilled cheese, roasted vegetables, and salad.
This soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It also freezes well and can be frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, place the soup in a saucepan and simmer on low heat. You can adjust the consistency as needed when reheating.
This curried butternut squash soup is:
- creamy, delicious, and flavorful,
- made with warm spices,
- perfect for chilly weather.
Curried Butternut Squash Soup in Instant Pot
- 2 lb butternut squash
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 small piece ginger chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne (adjust according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoon pumpkin seeds roasted
Make the soup:
- Peel the butternut squash and cut them into cubes.
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil.
- Add onion, ginger, and garlic. Saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash cubes, spices (ground coriander, garam masala, ground turmeric, and chili powder), and salt. Mix well and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock. Mix well and deglaze the pot.
- Secure the IP lid and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode for 6 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps, do a quick release of the pressure.
- Open the lid and blend the soup using an immersion blender.
- Set the Instant Pot on saute mode and stir in the coconut milk. Adjust the consistency by adding some water if needed.
- Let it simmer for 1-2 minutes.
Make the garnish (optional):
- Dry roast the pumpkin seeds until they are crispy. Set them aside.
- In a small pan, heat one teaspoon of oil and add mustard seeds.
- Once they splutter, add the curry leaves. Saute for 10 seconds and turn off the heat.
Finish and serve:
- Cancel the saute mode and turn off the Instant Pot.
- Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds and the prepared curry leaves oil.
- Serve hot with crusty bread of your choice.