This Indian-style vegetable pearl barley soup is delicious and flavorful. This vegan soup is perfect for cold winter nights. Made in an
Why you will love this recipe?
- This barley soup is easy to make and can be customized to your liking.
- Instant Pot barley soup is wholesome, nourishing, and perfect for cold winter nights.
Ingredients and Substitutes
Barley: Pearl barley is the main ingredient to make this dish.
Vegetables: I have used peas, carrots, and hyacinth beans. You can use any vegetables of your choice. Sweet corn, mushrooms, bell peppers, green beans, etc., work well.
Spices: I use ground cumin, ground pepper, turmeric, and garam masala. You can substitute garam masala with curry powder.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step 1: Set the
Step 2: Add the barley, tomatoes, and vegetables. Also, add salt, pepper, ground cumin, turmeric, and garam masala. Mix well and saute for 2 minutes (images 3 and 4).
Step 3: Add the stock and water. Secure the IP lid and set it to soup mode for 18 minutes (images 5 and 6).
Step 4: Do a natural release of pressure for 5 minutes, then do a quick release. Top with cilantro and lemon/lime juice (images 7 and 8).
You can add vegetables of your choice to make this soup. I have used peas, carrots, and hyacinth beans. Sweet corn, mushrooms, bell peppers, green beans, etc., work well.
Wash the barley thoroughly and drain all the water before using them.
Vegetable stock can be substituted with chicken stock or water.
If you want more runny soup, use ¾ cup of barley instead of one cup.
No. Barley is not gluten-free and cannot be eaten if you are on a gluten-free diet.
Any leftover soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This soup also freezes well and can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. Reheat the soup in a saucepan over medium heat.
More Indian soup recipes
If you tried this Instant Pot Vegetable Barley Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Indian-style Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1½ cups vegetables I used carrots, peas, and hyaciynth beans
- ¾-1 teaspoon salt (adjust as per taste)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- Wash the barley thoroughly. Drain all the water and set it aside.
- Chop the vegetables and set them aside.
Make the soup:
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil.
- Once it heats, add bay leaf, curry leaves, and garlic. Saute for one minute.
- Next, add onion and celery. Saute for 3 minutes, until they soften.
- Add the barley, tomatoes, and vegetables. Add salt, pepper, ground cumin, turmeric, and garam masala. Mix well and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and water.
- Secure the IP lid and set it to soup mode for 18 minutes.
- Do a natural release of pressure for 10 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Top with cilantro and lemon/lime juice. Serve hot.