Vegetable barley soup step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Healthy, wholesome, and nourishing Indian-style pearl barley soup is perfect for cold winter nights. This barley soup recipe uses warming spices, is very filling, and so easy to make. It is loaded with vegetables and can be customized to your liking.
Making it in the Instant Pot saves so much time and this vegan soup comes together in 30 minutes (with 10 minutes of hands-on time). This home-style vegetable barley soup with subtle flavors and minimal spices is soul-satisfying and perfect for busy weeknights.
Read on for ingredients and substitutes, step-by-step instructions, and useful tips to make this hearty, healthful, and delicious barley vegetable soup in Instant Pot. Check out more Indian soup recipes here.
Ingredients and substitutes
Barley: Pearl barley is the main ingredient to make this dish.
Onion and celery: They form the base of the soup. You can use either one of them or both.
Garlic and curry leaves: Adds a lot of flavor to the soup. Skip curry leaves if you do not have them.
Vegetables: I have used peas, carrots, and hyacinth beans. You can use any vegetables of your choice. Sweet corn, mushrooms, bell peppers, green beans, etc. work well.
Spices: I use ground cumin, ground pepper, turmeric, and garam masala. You can substitute garam masala with curry powder.
Vegetable stock: This can be substituted with chicken stock or just water.
Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and heat olive oil. Add bay leaf, garlic, and curry leaves. Saute for one minute (step 1).
Next, add onion and celery. Saute for 3 minutes, until they soften (step 2).
Add the barley, tomatoes, and vegetables. Also, add salt, pepper, ground cumin, turmeric, and garam masala. Mix well and saute for 2 minutes (steps 3, 4).
Add the stock and water. Secure the IP lid and set it to soup mode for 18 minutes (steps 5, 6).
Do a natural release of pressure for 5 minutes, then do a quick release. Top with cilantro and lemon/lime juice (steps 7, 8).
Hearty and healthy barley soup ready to be served.
You can add vegetables of your choice to make this soup. I have used peas, carrots, and hyacinth beans. Sweet corn, mushrooms, bell peppers, green beans, etc. work well.
Wash the barley thoroughly and drain all the water before using them.
Vegetable stock can be substituted with chicken stock or water.
If you want more runny soup, use ¾ cup of barley instead of one cup.
No. Barley is not gluten-free and cannot be eaten if you are on a gluten-free diet.
Barley is considered a healthy grain and is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It is also very high in fiber, keeping you full for longer. It is also known for keeping the body warm during winter.
Any leftover soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This soup also freezes well and can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. Reheat the soup in a saucepan over medium heat.
This barley soup is:
- healthy and nutritious,
- very easy to make,
- can be customized as per your liking.
Vegetable Barley Soup (Instant Pot)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1½ cups vegetables I used carrots, peas, and hyaciynth beans
- ¾-1 teaspoon salt (adjust as per taste)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Wash the barley thoroughly. Drain all the water and set it aside.
- Chop the vegetables and set them aside.
Make the soup:
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil.
- Once it heats, add bay leaf, curry leaves, and garlic. Saute for one minute.
- Next, add onion and celery. Saute for 3 minutes, until they soften.
- Add the barley, tomatoes, and vegetables. Add salt, pepper, ground cumin, turmeric, and garam masala. Mix well and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and water.
- Secure the IP lid and set it to soup mode for 18 minutes.
- Do a natural release of pressure for 10 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Top with cilantro and lemon/lime juice. Serve hot.