This Instant Pot vegetable quinoa soup is a hearty and delightful dish that can be enjoyed throughout the year. Loaded with a medley of vegetables and enriched with warming spices, this Indian-style quinoa soup is a true crowd-pleaser. Soup season or not, this vegan and gluten-free creation is sure to satisfy.
Why you will love this recipe?
- The soup is packed with various hearty vegetables, making it a nourishing and satisfying meal.
- The combination of spices imparts subtle yet delightful flavors to the soup, enhancing its overall taste.
- With a cooking time of under 30 minutes, including prep time, this recipe is incredibly convenient for busy schedules or when you are short on time.
Ingredients and substitutes
Quinoa: This is the main ingredient. I have used white quinoa; however, you can use red quinoa instead.
Vegetables: I have used tomatoes, peas, carrots, and spinach. Fresh tomatoes can be replaced with tomato puree or tomato sauce in this recipe.
Chickpeas: I have used canned chickpeas in this recipe. It can be substituted with canned red lentils, pinto beans, black beans, wild rice, or kidney beans.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step 1: Heat olive oil in the inner pot of the
Step 2: Next, add the quinoa, diced tomatoes, carrots, peas, and chickpeas. Add salt and spices - turmeric powder, cumin powder, chili powder, and garam masala (image 2).
Step 3: Mix well and saute for 2 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and water (images 3 and 4).
Step 4: Secure the IP lid and set it to soup mode for 4 minutes. Do a natural pressure release for 5 minutes, then do a quick release of any remaining pressure (images 5 and 6).
Step 5: Add the spinach leaves and lemon juice. Simmer for one minute until the spinach wilts (images 7 and 8).
Delicious soup is ready to be served.
It is important to wash and rinse the quinoa grains thoroughly in cold water before using them. This will help in getting rid of any bitter taste if present.
I am using the 'Soup' mode in my
For a variation, skip the Indian spices and use mixed Italian seasoning to make this vegetable quinoa soup. The rest of the pressure cooking method remains the same. Top the soup with sour cream or parmesan cheese for a hearty meal.
What to serve with quinoa soup?
Crusty bread: A slice of crusty bread, such as a baguette or a rustic sourdough loaf, is perfect for dipping into the soup.
Grilled cheese sandwich: A classic grilled cheese sandwich can be a comforting and satisfying accompaniment. You can also serve it with this delicious paneer cheese sandwich for an indulgent meal.
Vegetable skewers: Grilled or roasted vegetable skewers or paneer skewers make a colorful and flavorful addition to the meal.
Any seasonal vegetables and greens of your choice will work well for this hearty stew. Apart from the veggies used in this recipe, sweet potatoes, corn kernels, zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, butternut squash, kale, collard greens, etc. will taste great. You can also include fresh herbs and other greens like kale, mustard greens, or collard greens.
Absolutely. Canned red and brown lentils can be added instead of chickpeas to make lentil quinoa soup. Fava beans, pinto beans, black beans, or kidney beans are also great additions. If you are using canned beans or lentils, you can use this recipe without any changes to the cook time.
Allow the soup to cool to room temperature and place it in an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator, ensuring airtight seals, and it can stay fresh for up to 5 days. To freeze the soup, pour the cooled soup into freezer-safe containers and store them for up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw frozen soup in the refrigerator overnight or use a microwave or the
You can also make this soup in a crock pot or slow cooker. Saute onion, garlic, and celery in a pan on medium heat, and add it to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours.
More Indian Soups
If you tried this Indian-style Quinoa Soup Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Indian-style Quinoa Soup (Instant Pot)
- Wash the quinoa thoroughly. Drain all the water and set it aside.
- Chop the vegetables and set them aside.
Make the soup:
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil.
- Once it heats, add bay leaf, onion, celery, and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes, until the onion softens.
- Add the quinoa, tomatoes, carrots, peas, and chickpeas.
- Add salt, chili powder, ground cumin, turmeric, and garam masala.
- Mix well and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and water.
- Secure the IP lid and set it to soup mode for 4 minutes.
- Do a natural release of pressure for 5 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Add the spinach leaves and lemon juice.
- Put the Instant Pot back in saute mode and simmer the soup for one minute, until the spinach wilts.
- Serve hot.