This Instant Pot vegetable quinoa soup is a hearty and delightful dish that can be enjoyed throughout the year. Loaded with a medley of vegetables and enriched with warming spices, this Indian-style quinoa soup is a true crowd-pleaser. Soup season or not, this vegan and gluten-free creation is sure to satisfy.
This Instant Pot quinoa vegetable soup is hearty, wholesome, and oh-so-delicious. This healthy soup is a good source of plant-based protein, packed with hearty vegetables, and uses warming and healing spices with subtle flavors.
The best part is that this easy recipe comes together in under 30 minutes (including prep time). This Indian-style Instant Pot quinoa soup is loaded with essential amino acids and essential nutrients. It uses minimal spices and can be customized to your liking.
This Instant Pot soup is vegan, dairy-free, and naturally gluten-free. This hearty soup will be loved by the whole family and will be on your family favorites list. This Instant Pot recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner time and also freezes well. Pair it with this paneer sandwich or grilled paneer salad comforting weeknight dinner. Perfect for chilly weather!
Read on for ingredients, substitutes, instructions, and useful tips to make this delicious vegetable soup in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. Check out more Indian soup recipes here.
Why you will love this recipe?
- Hearty and wholesome: The soup is packed with a variety of hearty vegetables and plant-based protein, making it a nourishing and satisfying meal.
- Delicious flavor profile: The combination of warming and healing spices imparts subtle yet delightful flavors to the soup, enhancing its overall taste.
- Quick and easy preparation: With a cooking time of under 30 minutes, including prep time, this recipe is incredibly convenient for busy schedules or when you are short on time.
Ingredients and substitutes
Quinoa: This is the main ingredient. I have used white quinoa; however, you can use red quinoa instead.
Onion, celery, and garlic: They are fried in olive oil to form the base of the soup. You can also add fresh ginger along with garlic.
Vegetables: I have used tomatoes, peas, carrots, and spinach. Other fresh veggies like bell peppers, potatoes, butternut squash, corn kernels, and sweet potatoes can also be used. Spinach can be substituted with kale, collard greens, or mustard greens.
Chickpeas: I have used canned chickpeas in this recipe. It can be substituted with canned red lentils, pinto beans, black beans, wild rice, or kidney beans.
Spices: I use ground turmeric, ground cumin, chili powder, and garam masala. You can substitute them with curry powder. Skip the red chili powder and substitute it with black pepper.
Stock: I use vegetable stock in this recipe. The vegetable broth can be substituted with chicken broth.
Step 1: Heat olive oil in the inner pot of the Instant Pot and add bay leaf, chopped onion, garlic, and celery. Saute for 3 minutes (image 1).
Step 2: Next, add the quinoa, diced tomatoes, carrots, peas, and chickpeas. Add salt and spices - turmeric powder, cumin powder, chili powder, and garam masala (image 2).
Step 3: Mix well and saute for 2 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and water (images 3 and 4).
Step 4: Secure the IP lid and set it to soup mode for 4 minutes. Do a natural pressure release for 5 minutes, then do a quick release of any remaining pressure (images 5 and 6).
Step 5: Add the spinach leaves and lemon juice. Simmer for one minute, until the spinach wilts (images 7 and 8).
Delicious soup is ready to be served.
It is important to wash and rinse the quinoa grains thoroughly in cold water before using them. This will help in getting rid of any bitter taste if present.
This hearty stew is a great way to include your favorite seasonal vegetables in your diet. In summer, you can use zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper, etc and in winter, you can add butternut squash, peas, etc. You can also include fresh herbs and other greens like kale, mustard greens, or collard greens.
Top the soup with sour cream or parmesan cheese for a hearty meal.
For a variation, skip the Indian spices and use mixed Italian seasoning to make this vegetable quinoa soup. The rest of the pressure cooking method remains the same.
You can replace the fresh tomatoes with tomato puree or tomato sauce in this recipe.
I am using the 'Soup' mode in my Instant Pot. However, you can use the 'Pressure cook' option on your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker. Set the pressure valve to the sealing position and adjust the cooking time to 6 minutes on high pressure.
This Instant Pot soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and can be frozen for up to three months. You can make a big batch, portion it and store it in an airtight container. The next day, simply reheat it in a microwave or on the stovetop.
You can also make this soup in a crock pot or slow cooker. Saute onion, garlic, and celery in a pan on medium heat, and add it to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours. Alternatively, use the saute function in the Instant Pot and then set it to 'Slow cook' mode for 5 hours.
You may also like:
- Lentil soup recipe.
- Millet soup.
- Butternut squash soup.
- Instant Pot vegetable soup.
- Clear broth soup.
What to serve with quinoa soup?
Quinoa soup pairs well with a variety of accompaniments that can enhance your dining experience. Here are some delicious options to serve with quinoa soup:
Crusty bread: A slice of crusty bread, such as a baguette or a rustic sourdough loaf, is perfect for dipping into the soup. It adds texture and helps soak up the flavorful broth.
Salad: Serve a refreshing salad on the side to complement the soup. A simple green salad with fresh vegetables and a tangy vinaigrette can provide a contrast of flavors and textures.
Grilled cheese sandwich: A classic grilled cheese sandwich can be a comforting and satisfying accompaniment. The crispy bread and melted cheese complement the soup beautifully. You can also serve it with this delicious paneer cheese sandwich for an indulgent meal.
Vegetable skewers: Grilled or roasted vegetable skewers or paneer skewers make a colorful and flavorful addition to the meal. They provide a contrast in texture and add a touch of freshness.
Savory biscuits or crackers: Serve a selection of savory biscuits or crackers on the side for some crunch.
Yogurt or sour cream: Add a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream as a topping for the soup. It adds a creamy element and a touch of tanginess.
Cheese plate: Create a small cheese plate with a variety of cheeses, such as cheddar, brie, or gouda. Pair the cheeses with some fruits, nuts, and crackers for a diverse and satisfying accompaniment.
How to store this Instant Pot quinoa soup?
Proper storage ensures that you can enjoy the soup's flavors and nutritional value even after it has been stored for a period of time. To store Instant Pot quinoa vegetable soup:
- Let the soup cool down to room temperature before storing.
- Use airtight containers or resealable freezer bags suitable for storing liquids.
- Divide the soup into portions based on your needs. This allows for easier reheating.
- Clearly label each container or bag with the name of the soup and the date of storage.
- If you plan to consume the soup within the next few days, store it in the refrigerator. Place the containers in the refrigerator, ensuring they are tightly sealed. This soup can be stored for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- If you want to store the soup for a longer period, freezing is the best option. Pour the cooled soup into freezer-safe containers or bags, leaving some headspace to account for expansion during freezing. Seal the containers tightly.
- Store it in the freezer for up to 3 months while maintaining good quality.
- To thaw the frozen soup, transfer it to the refrigerator and allow it to thaw overnight. Alternatively, you can thaw it in the microwave or use the defrost setting on your Instant Pot. Reheat the soup on the stovetop or using the Instant Pot until it reaches a desired temperature.
Any seasonal vegetables and greens of your choice will work well. Apart from the veggies used in this recipe, sweet potatoes, corn kernels, red bell pepper, butternut squash, kale, collard greens, etc. will taste great.
Absolutely. Canned red and brown lentils can be added instead of chickpeas to make lentil quinoa soup. Fava beans, pinto beans, black beans, or kidney beans are also great additions. If you are using canned beans or lentils, you can use this recipe without any changes to the cook time.
If you liked this recipe, please don't forget to give a 5-star rating and leave a comment below.
Quinoa Soup in Instant Pot
- Wash the quinoa thoroughly. Drain all the water and set it aside.
- Chop the vegetables and set them aside.
Make the soup:
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil.
- Once it heats, add bay leaf, onion, celery, and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes, until the onion softens.
- Add the quinoa, tomatoes, carrots, peas, and chickpeas.
- Add salt, chili powder, ground cumin, turmeric, and garam masala.
- Mix well and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and water.
- Secure the IP lid and set it to soup mode for 4 minutes.
- Do a natural release of pressure for 5 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Add the spinach leaves and lemon juice.
- Put the Instant Pot back in saute mode and simmer the soup for one minute, until the spinach wilts.
- Serve hot.