Namaste and welcome to Easy Indian Cookbook, where you'll find simple and delicious recipes with an Indian flair! I'm Shilpa, and I'm passionate about bringing the flavors of my culture to your kitchen. Discover the convenience of wholesome and nourishing Indian cuisine with my recipes, crafted to be quick and hassle-free. So join me on this culinary journey, and let's create delicious, homemade meals that celebrate the vibrant and diverse flavors of India!
To Begin With...
I worked in the field of technology, and my passion lies in cooking, photography, and traveling. I love to cook food for family and friends, and most of all my biggest fans - my little kids and my food critic - my husband.
"Cooking is love, made edible"
My little girl is a foodie by heart, just like her dad. She absolutely loves and enjoys eating and never hesitates in trying out new food. It is soul-satisfying to watch her lick her fingers after finishing her plate of food.
"I love having picky eaters and making more than one meal at dinner time," said NO.MOM.EVER.
My son is a very picky eater, just the opposite of his elder sister. There is nothing that can impress him easily. It is very difficult to make him try out new foods. He has a few favorite foods and doesn’t want to step out of them. Every time I make something new, I keep my fingers crossed that he will at least taste it!
"People who love to eat are always the best people" - Julia Child
My better half is a big foodie and he absolutely loves his food. He introduced me to lots of new cuisines and inspired me to try them out at home. Cooking for him gives me so much joy and happiness.
Why I started Easy Indian Cookbook
I began my food blogging journey in 2016 in my previous blog where I share traditional and modern recipes that are loved by my family. They are some of our family favorites, especially my daughter’s. On some days, I cook elaborate meals and include everyone’s favorite dishes but on some, I just want to stop at a one-pot dish.
My inspiration behind Easy Indian Cookbook comes from those easy-to-make wholesome dishes. Being a busy mom of two very active kids, these recipes are perfect for me to juggle everything easily.
What You Can Find Here
My aim with Easy Indian Cookbook is to create and share recipes for quick and easy food that tastes great without spending hours in the kitchen. I want to share nourishing and healthy recipes that can be enjoyed by the whole family.
Most of the recipes I share here can be made in under 30 minutes, making them perfect for busy weeknights (and weekends). I will also share meal prep ideas and storing suggestions where possible which will make them really easy.
Here, you can find:
- Easy (mostly Indian) recipes
- Step-by-step instructions
- All tips and tricks
- Ingredient substitutes where possible
- Answers to the most common issues you may face when making a recipe
- Storage and meal prep tips
New to Indian cooking? Start here...
Welcome to the world of Indian cooking! It's a vibrant and flavorful cuisine that offers a wide variety of dishes and ingredients. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Start with the basics: Indian cuisine is built on a foundation of aromatic spices, so begin by stocking up on essential spices such as cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, and mustard seeds. You can also purchase pre-made spice blends like curry powder or sambar powder.
- Invest in a few key tools: To make Indian dishes, you'll need a few kitchen tools like a heavy-bottomed pot or a pressure cooker (or the Instant Pot) for making dal or curries, a large frying pan for roasting spices or frying, a spice grinder for freshly ground spices, and a mortar and pestle to crush fresh herbs.
- Experiment with different dishes: Indian cuisine is incredibly diverse and offers an extensive range of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes, from flavorful curries and rice dishes to richly spiced meats and savory bread. Experimenting with different flavors and ingredients is a great way to develop your skills and discover your personal preferences in Indian cooking.
- Familiarize yourself with the ingredients: Indian cuisine uses a wide variety of ingredients, some of which may be unfamiliar to you. Take the time to learn about the different lentils, grains, vegetables, and spices used in Indian cooking and how they are used in various dishes.
- Don't be afraid to adjust the spice level: Indian food is known for its bold and robust flavors. If you're not used to eating foods with many different varieties of spices in them, adjust the spice level to your liking. You can also tone down the heat by adding yogurt or coconut milk to dishes.
Remember not to get overwhelmed with the spices. They are all easily available not only in Indian grocery stores, but also in Walmart, Trader Joe's, and online stores like Amazon. With some practice and patience, you'll soon be whipping up delicious and authentic Indian dishes like butter chicken and saag paneer in your own kitchen!
More About Shilpa and the Blog
My inspiration behind the Easy Indian Cookbook comes from the easy-to-make wholesome dishes that I have under my sleeve on busy and hectic days. Being a busy mom of two very active kids, these recipes are perfect for me to juggle everything easily.
Absolutely! Feel free to write to me at [email protected] outlook(dot)com. I would love to hear from you.
Most of the recipes you will find here are Indian. However, you will also find some delicious fusion recipes that marry the flavors of two lovely cuisines. Check out the most delicious paneer lasagna and the Japanese kanikama salad with an Indian touch.
Some of my favorite recipes
These are some of my personal favorite recipes:
Stay in Touch
- On the Easy Indian Cookbook Facebook page.
- On Instagram (Don't forget to tag me when you make one of my recipes).
- Watch my recipe videos on YouTube.
- If you have any suggestions or want any recipes or want to know more about me, drop me a note on my contact page or write to me at [email protected] (dot) com.