Indian chicken soup, or chicken shorba, is a delicious and mildly spiced comforting soup that features tender chicken, aromatic spices, and fragrant herbs. Also called murg shorba or murg yakhni, it is perfect if you want to enjoy a simple yet flavorful meal on cooler days.
Why you will love this recipe?
- Chicken shorba is packed with flavor thanks to the addition of spices and herbs. It is mildly spiced and can be enjoyed by the entire family on cold and chilly nights.
- This Indian chicken soup is easy to make and uses minimal spices.
- This soup can be easily doubled or even tripled to feed a crowd. It is a great dish to make for parties or potlucks.
Chicken: I have used chicken drumsticks and thigh pieces.
Cilantro: Cilantro or coriander leaves are the main ingredients of the shorba. Both the cilantro stems, and leaves are used in my shorba recipe.
Whole spices: I am using bay leaf, cinnamon stick, star anise, and whole pepper.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
In this recipe, I have used a mix of chicken drumsticks and thighs.
Adjust the thickness of this Indian chicken soup by increasing or reducing the cornstarch slurry.
Use ghee where possible to saute the spices and onions. It adds a nice nutty aroma and increases the richness of the soup.
To store chicken shorba, allow it to cool to room temperature before transferring it to airtight containers. Refrigerate for up to 3-4 days or freeze for up to two months. When reheating, gently warm it on the stove to preserve the texture and flavors. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
To prepare Indian style chicken soup in a slow cooker, saute the spices and aromatics in a frying pan. Transfer it to the slow cooker, and add chicken, salt, and water. Set the slow cooker to low heat and cook for 6-8 hours until the chicken is tender. Take the chicken out, shred it, and sieve the liquid. Transfer them back to the slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients as per this recipe and slow cook for 30 minutes.
More Indian soup recipes
If you tried this Indian Chicken Soup / Chicken Shorba Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Chicken Shorba / Indian Chicken Soup (Instant Pot)
- 1 lb chicken thigh and drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon ghee or olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 inch cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper
- 3-4 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger peeled and sliced
- 1-2 green chilies (adjust as per taste or skip for a mild soup)
- 1 medium yellow onion roughly chopped
- ½ cup cilantro stalk (around 15 stalks)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust as per taste)
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and add ghee. Once it melts, add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, star anise, and whole black peppercorns. Saute for 10 seconds.
- Next, add onion, ginger, garlic, and cilantro stem. Saute them for 2 minutes or until the onions begin to sweat.
- Add the chicken pieces, water, and salt. Make sure the chicken is fully covered in water. If not, add one more cup of water.
- Secure the IP lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally.
- Open the lid and carefully take the chicken pieces out of the liquid. Shred the chicken and discard the bones. Set it aside.
- Pass the remaining liquid through a sieve to get clear broth.
- Pour the broth back into the inner pot of the Instant Pot and set it to saute mode.
- Add the shredded chicken, garam masala, cilantro, and cream.
- Mix cornstarch with water to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the soup and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Squeeze in lemon juice just before serving.