Indian cilantro rice, also known as coriander rice or dhaniya pulao, is a fragrant and flavorful dish made with basmati rice, fresh cilantro leaves, and spices. This recipe offers a quick and easy way to prepare fragrant Indian cilantro rice in the Instant Pot.
Basmati rice infused with fresh cilantro leaves creates a light and flavorful side dish perfect for accompanying Indian curries or enjoying a light meal on its own. Only a handful of ingredients and 15 minutes are needed to bring this vibrant dish to your table.
Why you will love this recipe?
- This recipe is perfect for busy days! It only takes 15 minutes in the Instant Pot, so you can whip up a delicious side dish without spending hours in the kitchen.
- It's bursting with flavor! Fresh cilantro and simple spices give this rice a bright, fragrant taste that complements any main course.
- It's versatile! Enjoy this rice as a side dish or add your favorite protein and vegetables to make it a complete meal.
Cilantro: Fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) and their tender stems are the key ingredients of this dish. Wash and clean the cilantro well before using them.
Spices: I am keeping this recipe really simple and using just two spices - cumin seeds and garam masala. This makes the cilantro flavors shine in the dish.
See the recipe card for complete information on ingredients and quantities.
Before cooking, rinse the basmati rice under cold water until it runs clear. This helps remove excess starch and prevents the rice from becoming sticky. Soaking the rice for 20-30 minutes results in fluffier grains. This step is especially helpful for achieving the right texture in the Instant Pot.
Wash and clean the cilantro well before grinding. Use the tender stems along with leaves to add more flavor to the dish.
Raita: Raita is a yogurt-based side dish that pairs well with cilantro rice.
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. This dish also freezes well for up to three months.
Make the initial masala in a frying pan and transfer it to the slow cooker along with rice and water. Give it a good mix. Cook on the low setting for 2-3 hours or until the rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid.
Follow this recipe, but change the rice-to-water ratio to 1 to 2. Pressure cook for two whistles.
More Indian rice recipes
If you tried this Instant Pot Cilantro Rice / Dhaniya Pulao Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Cilantro Rice / Dhaniya Pulao - Instant Pot
For the masala paste:
- Wash the rice thoroughly until the water runs clear. Soak it in water for 20-30 minutes.
- Grind together cilantro, ginger, garlic, and green chili using 1-2 tablespoons of water to form a thick paste.
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil. Once it heats, add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add cashews and onions. Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add the ground cilantro paste, garam masala, and salt. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain all the water from the soaked rice and add it to the inner pot. Also, add 2½ cups of water.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on high for 6 minutes. Do a quick release of the pressure.
- Open the lid and add the lime/lemon juice. Gently mix the rice before serving.