Air fryer sweet potato fries step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Sweet potato fries are a healthier alternative to regular potato fries and are very easy to make. These delicious fries are made with just a handful of ingredients and are ready in less than 20 minutes.
Crispy, crunchy, healthy, and delicious air fryer sweet potato fries can be enjoyed with a dip of your choice and is loved by the kids too. Read on for the ingredients, tips, and FAQs to make these addictive and more-ish fries.
Sweet potatoes: For this recipe, I used two medium-sized sweet potatoes that weighed approximately 600 grams.
Olive Oil: I use olive oil to make these fries. However, you can use any cooking oil of your choice.
Cornflour: This adds a coating to the sweet potatoes which help to make the fries extra crispy.
Spices: I use chilli powder and chaat masala.
Tips and tricks
Make sure all the fries are cut with the same thickness. This way they will cook evenly.
Cornflour helps give a nice crispy texture to these fries. Do not skip it.
Preheat the air fryer before placing the fries. Also, brush the air fryer basket with some oil and then place the fries.
Place the fries in a single layer without overcrowding the basket.
I prefer to leave the skin on for crispier fries. You may peel the sweet potato if you prefer it that way.
Shake the air fryer basket midway. This will help in cooking the fries evenly.
Keep an eye after the 8-minute mark and take them out when they are just done. If you overcook the sweet potatoes, the fries will turn soggy.
Click here for more snacks recipes.
You can place the leftover fries in an air-tight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to five days. To reheat them, put them in the air fryer at 350 F (180 C) for 2 minutes.
Sweet potato fries can be served with any dip of your choice. Ketchup and spicy sriracha go well with them.
This really depends on the size of the fries and also the air fryer brand. I think a minimum of 8-10 minutes is needed for them to get done.
Peeling them is purely optional. I prefer making these fries with the skin as the skin adds to the crispiness of the fries.
The fries will turn soggy if you overcrowd the air fryer basket. Always place a single layer of fries and fry them in batches. Also, it is important to preheat the air fryer to prevent the fries from turning soggy.
These sweet potato fries are:
- vegan, gluten-free and guilt-free
- ready in less than 20 minutes
- made with just a handful of ingredients
- great as a snack and loved by kids
Step by step instructions
1. Wash and clean the sweet potato. Pat dry using a kitchen towel. Slice off both edges.
2. Cut each sweet potato in half.
3. Place it vertically on the board and cut it into four parts
4. Cut each part into four parts. This will give you ¼ inch thick strips.
5. Repeat with the rest of the sweet potato
6. Combine the cut sweet potato with olive oil, cornflour, chili powder, salt, and chaat masala
7. Mix well
8. Lightly brush the air fryer basket with some oil.
9. Place the fries in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
10. Air fry for 10-12 minutes. Shake the basket at the 6-minute mark.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 medium sweet potato approximately 600 grams
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala optional
- Wash and clean the sweet potato. Pat dry using a kitchen towel
- Slice off both edges. Cut each sweet potato in half
- Place it vertically on the board and cut into four parts (see pictures)
- Cut each part into four parts. This will give you ¼ inch thick strips
- Repeat with the rest of the sweet potato
- Combine the cut sweet potato with olive oil, cornflour, chilli powder, salt, and chaat masala
- Mix everything well
- Preheat air fryer at 350 F (180 C) for 2 minutes
- Lightly brush the air fryer basket with some oil
- Place the fries in a single layer in the air fryer basket
- Air fry for 8-10 minutes. Shake the basket at the 5-minute mark
- Serve hot with ketchup or dip of your choice
Click here to watch sweet potato fries web story.