Crispy potato fries tossed in a robust masala sauce, these masala fries are spot-on delicious! This easy fries recipe gives the timeless classic a makeover.
Also known as masala chips, these fries are not only easy to prepare but also incredibly delicious. Dip them in tandoori mayo or serve them with a burger for a delicious meal!
Why you will love this recipe?
- Flavorful and addictive: The robust masala sauce and crispy potato fries create a delightful contrast of textures and flavors.
- Easy to make: This recipe is incredibly simple. With just a few everyday pantry ingredients and minimal preparation time, you can whip up these delicious masala fries in no time.
- Perfect for any occasion: Whether you're craving a quick snack, planning a party, or simply want to add a touch of Indian flair to your meal, these homemade masala fries are the perfect solution.
French Fries: I am using frozen French fries for this recipe. Leftover chunky fries can also be used.
Spices: I am using garam masala, chili powder, ground cumin, and ground coriander for this recipe.
Tomatoes: Fresh tomatoes work best; however, they can be replaced with canned tomatoes. I am also adding a small amount of tomato ketchup to add sweetness and balance the tomatoes and spices.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
For this recipe, I have used store-bought frozen fries and cooked them in an
Make sure the fries are fully cooked and crispy before adding to the masala. Add them while they are still hot. If you are using leftover fries, reheat them in an oven or
Toss the cooked fries gently in the masala sauce and do it quickly. This will help the sauce coat the fries without making them soggy.
Masala fries are a delicious and flavorful snack that can be enjoyed on their own or as part of a larger meal. Here are a few serving suggestions for masala fries:
As a snack or appetizer: Serve these fries with Indian dipping sauce, such as tandoori mayonnaise, tamarind chutney, or mint chutney. Serve them along with masala chai. They are also a perfect appetizer for parties and gatherings.
As a side dish: Serve masala fries as a side dish with a variety of Indian dishes, such as paneer tikka, chicken tikka, or samosa. Add these masala chips to a platter of appetizers for a party or gathering.
These masala fries are best served fresh. However, if there are any leftovers, store them in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. The masala sauce itself can be stored for up to one week in the refrigerator and up to three months in the freezer. Just before serving, cook the fries, heat the masala sauce well, and toss them together.
Absolutely! You can use homemade french fries and then toss them into the masala sauce.
Yes. To use leftover fries, reheat them in an oven or
More potato recipes
If you tried this Masala Fries Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Masala Fries / Spicy Masala Chips
- 15 oz frozen fries (or leftover fries)
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or cayenne pepper)
- 2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (use store-bought or homemade garam masala)
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon kasoori methi dried fenugreek leaves (crushed)
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- Cook the frozen fries in the oven or air fryer as per the package instructions.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add onions. Saute for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften and become translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for one more minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato ketchup, ground coriander, ground cumin, chili powder, garam masala, kasoori methi, and salt. Let the tomatoes cook on medium heat.
- Stir occasionally and cook for 4-5 minutes until the tomatoes cook and the oil begins to separate. Make sure the masala sauce is thick, and there is no moisture content.
- Add the cooked fries to the pan and mix gently until they are evenly coated. Turn off the heat and top with cilantro. Serve immediately.