Air fryer chickpeas step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Crispy and crunchy roasted chickpeas are oh-so-delicious and easy to make. When roasted in an air fryer or oven, those cans of chickpeas can turn into a super healthy snack that is full of flavor and so more-ish.
This spicy version is made using a few simple spices and is ready in 20 minutes. Roasted garbanzo beans are a good replacement for roasted nuts and make a great high-protein vegan snack. I love making them in my air fryer because it saves so much time. I have also included oven instructions in this recipe.
There are so many variations to making these air fryer chickpeas and I am going to show you how to add a twist to these spicy roasted garbanzo beans. And so many ways to enjoy them and they are a great addition to your favorite salad or soup. Gluten-free, nut-free, and most importantly guilt-free, they are suitable for more dietary requirements.
Read on for ingredients, instructions, and variations to make these ultra-crispy and golden-brown roasted chickpeas in an air fryer or oven.
Chickpeas: I have used canned chickpeas in this recipe. See the tips section below if you want to use dry chickpeas.
Oil: I use olive oil, however, any cooking oil of your choice will work.
Spices: I use garlic powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and chili powder. See the variations section below for more options.
Drain all the liquid from the canned chickpeas. Spread them on a paper towel so that the excess moisture dries. Transfer the chickpeas into a bowl and add oil. Mix well to make sure all the chickpeas are coated.
Next, add salt and spices - garlic powder, chili powder, turmeric, and garam masala. Mix well to coat all the chickpeas.
Place the chickpeas in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Air fry at 375 F (190 C) for 12-15 minutes. Shake the basket at around the 5-minute and 10-minute mark.
The chickpeas are done once they are golden and crispy.
To make roasted chickpeas in an oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Drain all the liquid from the canned chickpeas.
- Pat dry them using a paper towel.
- Transfer to a bowl and coat them with oil.
- Toss in the spices and mix well.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Arrange the chickpeas in a single layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until they are golden and crispy.
Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas. Let it sit in a colander for a few minutes so that all the water drips. Then, pat dry the chickpeas using a paper towel.
Drying the chickpeas is an important step and cannot be skipped. If there is moisture content, the chickpeas may explode when air frying.
Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, work in batches and place the chickpeas in single a layer.
Shake the air fryer at regular intervals to ensure an even roasting.
Using canned chickpeas is very convenient and saves time. You can also use dry chickpeas. In that case, soak them overnight and pressure cook until they are well done. If you use an Instant Pot, pressure cook them for 15 minutes, do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release of any remaining pressure.
Cool the roasted chana completely before storing it. Any moisture content will make them soggy. They can be stored at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
More air fryer recipes:
Here are some variations you can try to add a delicious twist to these roasted chickpeas.
Chaat masala - Chaat masala is a salty-tangy spice blend that is used in most Indian street foods. Sprinkle a generous amount of chaat masala for a delicious twist.
Pepper lime - Add ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder along with other spices before air frying/baking. Once the chickpeas are done, drizzle lime juice just before serving.
Mexican - Use taco seasoning instead of Indian spices to make Mexican roasted chickpeas.
Mediterranean - Toss the garbanzo beans with Italian seasoning for a delicious Mediterranean twist.
Cinnamon sugar - Make crunchy sweet chickpeas by tossing them in cinnamon sugar and roasting them.
They can be stored at room temperature for 4-5 days. Cool completely and place them in an air-tight container to store.
Soak them in enough water for 6-8 hours (or overnight) and boil them in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot until they are cooked completely but are not mushy. The rest of the recipe remains the same.
The chickpeas will explode if there is any moisture content in them. It is important to drain all the water and dry them before roasting.
If they are not air-fried or baked for long enough, the chickpeas will remain soggy and not become crunchy. Make sure you bake them until they are crispy and dry.
These spicy roasted chickpeas are:
- easy to make and ready in 20 minutes,
- so delicious and healthy,
- suitable for most dietary requirements,
Air Fryer Chickpeas / Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- 2 cups canned chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder or cayenne (adjust as per preference)
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼-½ teaspoon salt (adjust as per taste)
- Drain all the liquid from the canned chickpeas. Spread them on a paper towel so that the excess moisture dries.
- Transfer the chickpeas into a bowl and add oil. Mix well to make sure all the chickpeas are coated.
- Next, add salt and spices - garlic powder, chili powder, turmeric, and garam masala. Mix well to coat all the chickpeas.
- Place the chickpeas in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 375 F (190 C) for 12-15 minutes. Shake the basket at around the 5-minute and 10-minute mark.
- The chickpeas are done once they are golden and crispy.