Crispy and crunchy roasted chickpeas are oh-so-delicious and easy to make. When roasted in an air fryer or oven, those cans of chickpeas can turn into a super healthy snack that is full of flavor and so more-ish.
This spicy version is made using a few simple spices and is ready in 20 minutes. Roasted garbanzo beans are a good replacement for roasted nuts and make a great high-protein vegan snack. I love making them in my air fryer because it saves so much time. I have also included oven instructions in this recipe.
There are so many variations to making these air fryer chickpeas and I am going to show you how to add a twist to these spicy roasted garbanzo beans. And so many ways to enjoy them and they are a great addition to your favorite salad or soup. Gluten-free, nut-free, and most importantly guilt-free, they are suitable for more dietary requirements.
Read on for ingredients, instructions, and variations to make this ultra-crispy and golden-brown roasted chickpeas in an air fryer or oven.
Why you will love this recipe?
- Delicious and crunchy snack: These roasted chickpeas turn out crispy and crunchy, providing a satisfying texture that makes them enjoyable to eat.
- Easy and quick: This spicy roasted chickpeas recipe is straightforward and requires only a few simple ingredients and spices. Whether you choose to use an air fryer or oven, the preparation is hassle-free. With a cooking time of just 20 minutes, you can have a wholesome and flavorful snack ready in no time.
- High-protein and vegan: Roasted garbanzo beans are an excellent source of plant-based protein, making them a healthy snack choice, especially for those following a vegan or vegetarian diet.
- Versatile: These spicy roasted chickpeas can be enjoyed in numerous ways. They can be a standalone snack, a topping for salads, or an addition to soups, providing versatility and enhancing various dishes.
- Customizable: This air fryer roasted chickpeas can be customized in so many ways to make it your own. I have listed a few of my favorite variations to create different flavors and add your own unique twist to the roasted chickpeas.
Chickpeas: I have used canned chickpeas in this recipe. See the tips section below if you want to use dry chickpeas.
Oil: I use olive oil, however, any cooking oil of your choice will work.
Spices: I use garlic powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and chili powder. See the variations section below for more options.
Step 1: Drain all the liquid from the canned chickpeas. Spread them on a paper towel so that the excess moisture dries. Transfer the chickpeas into a bowl and add oil. Mix well to make sure all the chickpeas are coated.
Step 2: Next, add salt and spices - garlic powder, chili powder, turmeric, and garam masala. Mix well to coat all the chickpeas.
Step 2: Place the chickpeas in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Air fry at 375 F (190 C) for 12-15 minutes. Shake the basket at around the 5-minute and 10-minute mark.
Step 3: The chickpeas are done once they are golden and crispy.
To make roasted chickpeas in an oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Drain all the liquid from the canned chickpeas.
- Pat dry them using a paper towel.
- Transfer to a bowl and coat them with oil.
- Toss in the spices and mix well.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Arrange the chickpeas in a single layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until they are golden and crispy.
Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas. Let it sit in a colander for a few minutes so that all the water drips. Then, pat dry the chickpeas using a paper towel.
Drying the chickpeas is an important step and cannot be skipped. If there is moisture content, the chickpeas may explode when air frying.
Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, work in batches and place the chickpeas in single a layer.
Shake the air fryer at regular intervals to ensure an even roasting.
Using canned chickpeas is very convenient and saves time. You can also use dry chickpeas. In that case, soak them overnight and pressure cook until they are well done. If you use an Instant Pot, pressure cook them for 15 minutes, do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release of any remaining pressure.
Cool the roasted chana completely before storing it. Any moisture content will make them soggy. They can be stored at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
More air fryer recipes:
- Banana chips.
- Smashed potatoes.
- Paneer tikka.
- Masala sweet potato fries.
- Air fryer popcorn shrimp.
- Chicken tangdi kabab.
Here are some variations you can try to add a delicious twist to these roasted chickpeas.
Chaat masala - Chaat masala is a salty-tangy spice blend that is used in most Indian street foods. Sprinkle a generous amount of chaat masala for a delicious twist.
Pepper lime - Add ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder along with other spices before air frying/baking. Once the chickpeas are done, drizzle lime juice just before serving.
Mexican - Use taco seasoning instead of Indian spices to make Mexican roasted chickpeas.
Mediterranean - Toss the garbanzo beans with Italian seasoning for a delicious Mediterranean twist.
Cinnamon sugar - Make crunchy sweet chickpeas by tossing them in cinnamon sugar and roasting them.
How to store air fryer chickpeas?
By storing the roasted chickpeas properly, you can enjoy them as a convenient snack for several days, maintaining their delightful texture and flavor. To store these spicy roasted chickpeas:
- Allow them to cool: Ensure that the roasted chickpeas have cooled completely before storing them. This helps to prevent moisture buildup, which can lead to a loss of crispiness.
- Use an airtight container: Transfer the cooled air fryer chickpeas to an airtight container. A glass jar or a resealable plastic container with a tight-fitting lid works well.
- Store at room temperature: Keep the container of roasted chickpeas at room temperature. Avoid placing them in the refrigerator, as the moisture can make them soft and less enjoyable.
- Avoid moisture exposure: Ensure that the container is tightly sealed to prevent moisture from entering. Moisture can cause the chickpeas to become soggy or lose their crunchiness.
- Consume within a week: For optimal flavor and texture, consume the roasted chickpeas within a week of preparing them.
- Re-crisp as needed: If you notice any signs of moisture or the chickpeas losing their crunchiness, you can re-crisp them by placing them in a preheated oven or air fryer for a few minutes.
Soak them in enough water for 6-8 hours (or overnight) and boil them in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot until they are cooked completely but are not mushy. The rest of the recipe remains the same.
The chickpeas will explode if there is any moisture content in them. It is important to drain all the water and dry them before roasting.
If they are not air-fried or baked for long enough, the chickpeas will remain soggy and not become crunchy. Make sure you bake them until they are crispy and dry.
If you liked this recipe, please don't forget to give a 5-star rating and leave a comment below.
Air Fryer Chickpeas / Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- 2 cups canned chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder or cayenne (adjust as per preference)
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼-½ teaspoon salt (adjust as per taste)
- Drain all the liquid from the canned chickpeas. Spread them on a paper towel so that the excess moisture dries.
- Transfer the chickpeas into a bowl and add oil. Mix well to make sure all the chickpeas are coated.
- Next, add salt and spices - garlic powder, chili powder, turmeric, and garam masala. Mix well to coat all the chickpeas.
- Place the chickpeas in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 375 F (190 C) for 12-15 minutes. Shake the basket at around the 5-minute and 10-minute mark.
- The chickpeas are done once they are golden and crispy.
Leave a Reply