These tandoori mushrooms are also incredibly easy to make and can be served as an appetizer or side dish. Pair them with tamarind chutney or your favorite dipping sauce! Vegan and gluten-free.
I am not a big fan of mushrooms, but I first tried it at a local Indian restaurant on the recommendation of a friend, and we were immediately hooked. They were so good that I decided to try making them at home. I have recreated this recipe and customized it to make it in an
Why you will love this recipe?
Air fryermushrooms are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
- Quick and easy: Preparing the tandoori marinade is straightforward, and the
air fryercooks the mushrooms quickly.
- Versatile: You can serve these tandoori mushrooms as an appetizer, snack, side dish, or even as part of a larger Indian-themed meal.
Mushrooms: I am using white button mushrooms in this recipe. I have also made them with cremini mushrooms and shitake mushrooms, and they all work well.
Chickpea flour: I am using besan (gram flour/chickpea flour) to coat the mushrooms.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Make sure the mushrooms are fresh and firm for this recipe. Also, ensure that the mushrooms are evenly sliced to promote consistent cooking.
I use besan (gram flour/chickpea flour) to coat the mushrooms, and it adds a nice crunch and nutty taste to them. You can replace it with cornstarch in this recipe.
Arrange the mushrooms in a single layer in the
air fryer mushrooms
As an appetizer: When I'm hosting a party or get-together, I often present them as an appetizer on a platter with toothpicks - they're always a hit with guests. They pair well with mint chutney, tamarind chutney, or tandoori mayonnaise.
As a side dish: Air fryer tandoori mushrooms make a delicious side dish that I enjoy with various meals. Some of our favorite family meals to pair it with are grilled chicken drumsticks, chicken pulao, or rajma-chawal.
As a topping or filling: I also use these tandoori mushrooms as a topping in naan pizza and make wraps with them for lunchboxes.
Yes, you can use other types of mushrooms for this recipe, such as cremini mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, or shiitake mushrooms. Choose the type you prefer or mix them for added variety.
Yes, skewers can be used to thread marinated mushrooms. However, in that case, do not slice the mushrooms. Also, whole mushrooms will need longer to cook, so adjust the cooking time accordingly.
air fryer vegetables recipes
If you tried this Air Fryer Tandoori Mushrooms Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Air Fryer Mushrooms / Tandoori Mushroom
- 8 oz button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garam masala (use store-bought or homemade garam masala)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder (sub with paprika)
- ½ teaspoon salt (adjust as per taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kasoori methi
- ¼ cup besan (chickpea flour)
- Wash and pat dry the mushrooms thoroughly, making sure there is no moisture. Cut them into thick slices.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together olive oil, garam masala powder, turmeric, Kashmiri chili powder, salt, kasuri methi, and lemon juice. Give it a good mix.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and mix well. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Next, add the chickpea flour and mix well. Make sure the mushrooms are well coated.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360 F (180 C) for 2 minutes.
- Lightly brush the air fryer basket with oil. Place the mushrooms in a single layer without overcrowding the basket.
- Air fryer at 360 F for 8-10 minutes until they are cooked through and the outer edges begin to char slightly. Flip the basket once midway.
- Serve hot.