Green goddess salad or cabbage salad was originally made by TikTok user, Melissa Ben-Ishay, who is the creator of "Baked by Melissa" and went viral on TikTok. It is called green goddess because of the color of the veggies and salad dressing.
This delicious salad is so healthy and it can be put together in no time. It is a great way to enjoy green veggies. Cabbage salad is a great addition to your meals and can be served as an appetizer or side dish.
I have adapted the original recipe to add an interesting Indian twist to it. The original recipe was made using cabbage, cucumber, and green onions. It had a dressing made with spinach and basil leaves. In my recipe, cabbage, cucumber, jalapeno, and celery are the star veggies. I am making the dressing using mint leaves and cilantro (to replicate the classic Indian mint chutney).
This cabbage salad is perfect as a side dish or a light lunch. It is so versatile and can be used as a filling in lettuce wraps or tortilla wraps. It is a perfect healthy addition to your next potluck or barbecue menu. Follow these full instructions to make this nutritious viral green goddess salad with a delicious Indian twist.
Why you will love this recipe?
- Quick and easy: This cabbage salad can be put together in no time, making it a convenient option for busy days or last-minute meal preparations.
- Unique Indian twist: The use of Indian-inspired flavors such as mint leaves and cilantro in the dressing adds a unique and delicious twist to the traditional Green Goddess Salad, giving it a distinctive and exotic taste.
- Healthy and nutritious: The salad is packed with a variety of green vegetables, such as cabbage, cucumber, jalapeno, and celery, which are all rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The dressing made with fresh mint leaves and cilantro adds an extra burst of flavor and nutrition.
- Versatility: This salad can be served as a side dish, a light lunch, or used as a filling in lettuce wraps or tortilla wraps, making it a versatile option for different meal occasions.
- Potluck and barbecue-friendly: This salad is a great addition to potlucks or barbecues, as it can be made ahead of time and transported easily. Its unique Indian twist and vibrant colors are sure to impress your guests.
The ingredients I am listing below are needed to make my version of green goddess salad. You can easily find these ingredients in your local grocery stores.
Veggies: Green cabbage, celery, cucumber, and jalapeno.
Dressing: Cilantro, mint leaves, cashew nuts, olive oil, lemon juice (or lime juice), shallot onion, ginger, garlic, pepper, and salt. I am recreating the Indian mint chutney flavors with this dressing.
What was in the TikTok viral recipe?
These were the salad ingredients used in the original TikTok viral recipe by Baked with Melissa.
Veggies: Cabbage, cucumber, and green onions.
Green goddess dressing: Spinach, basil leaves, garlic, shallot onion, lemon juice, chives, rice vinegar, olive oil, walnuts, cashews, nutritional yeast, and salt.
You can also add sour cream and parmesan cheese to the dressing, although they were not used in Melissa's recipe.
Step 1: Thinly shred the cabbage. Finely chop the cucumber, celery, and jalapeno. Place them in a big bowl and give them a good mix.
Step 2: In a food processor or blender, add cilantro, mint leaves, garlic, shallot onion, ginger, cashews, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend for a few minutes, until the dressing is smooth (add 1-2 tablespoons of water if needed). Taste and adjust the salt.
Step 3: Add the creamy dressing to the salad veggies and give it a good mix.
Serve with corn tortillas or your favorite chips.
Shred the cabbage thinly using a food processor. Chop the vegetables finely and evenly into small pieces. If the veggies are chopped into large pieces, it will be difficult to dip the chips.
Add the dressing to the salad only when you are ready to serve it. This will avoid the cabbage from getting soggy.
If you are planning to store the salad, do not mix the dressing. Chop the veggies and make the salad dressing. Store them separately in airtight containers for 2-3 days. When you are ready to eat the salad, just mix them and serve.
You can also portion the salad and store them in mason jars for meal prep. Add the dressing when you are ready to eat.
Serve this salad with tortilla chips, corn chips, or pita chips. They are also great for filling in wraps.
You can use walnuts or almonds instead of cashew. For a nut-free version, replace nuts with pumpkin seeds.
Serve it as a side with these fusion recipes:
More salad recipes
Click here to see my collection of salad recipes.
The original viral recipe used cabbage, cucumber, and green onions. In my version, I have used cabbage, celery, cucumber, and jalapeno.
It is best to serve the salad fresh (or within 24 hours) of making it. If you want to store it, chop the veggies and make the dressing, and store them separately in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. When you are ready to eat, mix the dressing and serve.
Pair this healthy green cabbage salad with corn tortillas or pita bread. They can be served as an appetizer or a side salad. It is also great as a filling for a lettuce wrap or tortilla wrap. Add this slaw to your fish tacos and chicken tacos.
If you loved this recipe, please don't forget to give a 5-star rating and leave a comment below.
Cabbage Salad / TikTok Green Goddess Salad
For the salad
- ½ small head cabbage
- 2 large cucumbers
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 jalapeno
- Tortilla chips for serving
For the dressing:
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small shallot
- ¼ inch ginger
- ¼ cup cashews
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Thinly shred the cabbage. Finely chop the cucumber, celery, and jalapeno. Place them in a large bowl and give them a good mix.
- In a food processor or blender, add cilantro, mint leaves, garlic, shallot onion, ginger, cashews, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Blend for a few minutes, until the dressing is smooth (add 1-2 tablespoons of water if needed). Taste and adjust the salt.
- Add the dressing to the salad veggies and give it a good mix.
- Serve immediately with your favorite chips.
Such a fresh and flavorful salad! Yum!
Loooved the spicy jalapeno in this refreshing salad! It was so good, and it went perfectly with my grilled chicken. Great salad!
I'm not on Tik Tok but definitely glad I saw this salad because it's delicious! So much crunchy texture and the dressing is incredible!
Omg the color on this made my heart happy and the mint in it was so refreshing!
Such a refreshing and delicious salad! Great recipe to use up cabbage.