This paneer grilled cheese sandwich is a scrumptious and unique Indian variation of classic grilled cheese. It's quick and easy to make and can be enjoyed at any time of the day. What makes this recipe stand out is the addition of my green chutney - a tangy spread that complements the cheesy goodness of the sandwich.
Why you will love this grilled paneer sandwich?
- Creating this paneer bread recipe is a breeze, and its taste is simply divine.
- If you're searching for a vegetarian dish to wow your guests at parties, gatherings, or family dinners, this recipe is an excellent choice.
Paneer: Crumbled paneer cheese is the main ingredient in the filling. You will need one cup or approximately 200 grams of paneer for this recipe
Bread: In this recipe, I have used plain white bread. Brown bread also works well for this dish.
Green chutney: An easy spread made using mint leaves, coriander leaves (cilantro), ginger, garlic, green chili, lemon/lime juice, and salt. You can also use store-bought cilantro chutney.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
The amount of filling in this recipe can be used to make four sandwiches. You can adjust the quantities as per your needs.
This is great for meal prep. The green chutney can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week. Make the paneer filling for the sandwich ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
I make an easy green chutney to use as a spread. However, you can replace it with store-bought mint chutney, tandoori mayo, or any other spread you choose.
Make sure you use very little water when grinding the green chutney. We want it to be slightly thick and spreadable.
You may add any other vegetables, like grated carrots, peas, or corn. Make sure they are cut into small bits or grated. You can also make this sandwich using pav bread (eggless dinner rolls). Use the sandwich filling to make delicious paneer bread roll-ups.
Use this paneer mixture as a filling for your pita bread. Top the paneer and cheese with some kachumber for a delicious pita. And check this recipe to make the perfect pan-roasted pita at home.
I use white or whole wheat bread, and they both work very well. You can also use multiseed bread; however, it may not roll up well.
This is great for meal prep, too. The green chutney can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week. Make the paneer filling ahead and store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Yes. Assemble the sandwich as per this recipe. Heat the tava and add a little butter. Place the sandwich and let it fry on medium heat. Brush the top slice of bread with butter and carefully flip it. Cook on both sides until the bread is golden and the cheese melts completely.
More paneer recipes
If you tried this Paneer Cheese Sandwich Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
For the filling:
- 1 cup paneer
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ small onion finely chopped
- ½ small bell pepper finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ¼ inch ginger finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili powder or as per taste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (use store-bought or homemade garam masala)
- 2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (cilantro)
For the green chutney:
For the sandwich:
- 8 slices bread
- 2-3 tablespoon butter
- To make the green chutney, blend together coriander leaves, mint leaves, ginger, garlic, green chili, lime juice, and salt using very little water. Set it aside.
- Gather all the ingredients.
Making the sandwich filling:
- Heat oil in a frying pan or kadhai. Once it heats, add onion, ginger, garlic, and bell peppers. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chili powder, garam masala, tomato ketchup, and salt. Mix well and saute for one minute.
- Add the crumbled paneer and mix well. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Increase the heat and let the excess moisture dry. Turn off the heat and add cilantro. Let the filling cool down.
Making the sandwich:
- Spread a small amount of mint chutney onto the bread.
- Take about 3-4 tablespoons of the filling and spread evenly on the bread
- Top with mozzarella cheese. Cover with the second slice of bread.
- Heat the sandwich maker or panini press and add some butter.
- Carefully place the assembled sandwich on the sandwich press and add butter on top. Cover and cook until it is golden on both sides. Cut and serve.