Tandoori shrimp is a delicious appetizer that showcases succulent shrimp coated in a marinade of yogurt and aromatic spices. Perfect as an appetizer or main course, it can be paired with a variety of accompaniments such as naan bread or saffron rice.
Hot-off-the-grill tandoori shrimp, with its charred exterior and tender flesh, is so good for Indian-inspired cookouts. The shrimp are marinated in a yogurt-based mixture of spices and then grilled until they are cooked through and have a charred exterior.
Why you will love this recipe?
- Flavorful marination: The marination used for this recipe creates a rich and aromatic blend that infuses the shrimp with incredible flavor.
- Easy to make: With straightforward steps and easily accessible ingredients, it is a recipe that can be prepared by home cooks with ease.
- Versatile: Tandoori shrimp can be served as an appetizer, main course, or even as a snack. They can also be served with a variety of different side dishes, such as rice, naan, or roti.
Ingredients and substitutes
Shrimps: Use fresh large shrimp. You can also use tiger shrimp for this recipe. Wash the shrimp and remove the head. Peel and de-vein leaving the tail on.
Marinade: To make the marination, I use yogurt, ginger garlic paste, kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves), olive oil, chili powder, and garam masala. You can substitute ginger-garlic paste with fresh ginger and garlic cloves. You can replace olive oil with mustard oil or any cooking oil of your choice.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step 1: In a large bowl, take all the marination ingredients - yogurt, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, red chilli powder, kasuri methi, oil, and salt. Mix well making sure there are no lumps (images 1 and 2).
Step 2: Add the fresh prawns to it and mix well. Cover and let it marinate for 30 minutes to one hour (images 3 and 4).
Step 3: Once the shrimp is marinated, thread them into a wooden skewer (bamboo skewers) or metal skewer. Place the skewers in a single layer in the
Step 4: Preheat the
Step 5: Take care not to overcook them. The shrimp are cooked when they are pink and slightly charred (images 7 and 8).
Allow the shrimp to marinate for the right amount of time. Ideally, marinate them for 20-30 minutes.
Soak wooden skewers in water for 10-15 minutes before using them to prevent them from burning.
Prawns cook quickly, so it is crucial to avoid overcooking them. Overcooked shrimp can become rubbery and lose their tenderness. Keep a close eye on the shrimp while cooking and remove them from the heat as soon as they turn pink and opaque.
In this recipe, I am using garam masala as the main spice. This can be replaced with tandoori masala powder or curry powder. If you use a tandoori spice blend, skip the ginger garlic paste.
What to serve with tandoori shrimp?
Naan bread: Soft and pillowy naan bread is a classic choice to serve alongside tandoori shrimp.
Raita and chutney: A refreshing cucumber raita is a cooling side dish that complements the spiciness of tandoori shrimp. Mint chutney is a popular condiment in Indian cuisine that pairs well with tandoori shrimp.
Yes, frozen shrimp can be used; however, it must be thawed completely before marinating and cooking. To thaw the shrimp, place them in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes or leave them in the refrigerator overnight. Make sure to pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel and bring them to room temperature before marinating to remove any excess moisture.
For a yogurt substitute in the marinade for tandoori shrimp, you can consider using either coconut milk or sour cream. Coconut milk adds a touch of sweetness and creaminess, while sour cream brings tanginess and richness to the marinade. Use an equal amount of either substitute to replace the yogurt.
Yes, this tandoori prawns recipe can be made ahead of time and reheated. However, it is important to note that reheating may affect the texture and flavor of the shrimp. To achieve the best results, slightly undercook the shrimp when initially cooking them, cool them completely, and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When reheating, use gentle methods such as briefly warming them in a skillet or oven to avoid overcooking.
Preheat your oven to 350 F (180 C) and arrange the marinated shrimp skewers on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake them for 12-15 minutes until they turn pink and are fully cooked.
Yes, for a smoky and charred flavor, grilling is an excellent choice. Preheat your grill to high heat and brush the grills clean. Place the marinated shrimp skewers on the grill. Grill them on high heat with the lid closed for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are cooked through and has a charred exterior.
More appetizer recipes
If you tried this Tandoori Shrimp Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Tandoori Shrimp (Tandoori Prawns)
- 2 lb shrimps shelled, deveined, tail on. (30 pieces)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- ½ lemon or lime
- ¼ cup yogurt (use thick plain yogurt or Greek yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder (use store-bought or homemade garam masala)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (adjust as per taste)
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt (adjust as per taste)
Prep and marinate the shrimp:
- Clean and devein the shrimp. Pat dry well them using a paper towel.
- In a mixing bowl, take all the marination ingredients - yogurt, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, chili powder, kasuri methi, oil, and salt.
- Mix well making sure there are no lumps.
- Add the prawns to it and mix well. Cover and let it marinate for 20-30 minutes.
- Once the shrimp is marinated, thread them into a wooden skewer or metal skewer. (If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 10 minutes).
Air Fryer Instructions:
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 F (180 C) for 2 minutes.
- Place the skewers in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Air fry at 350 F for about 5-6 minutes. Take care not to overcook them.
- Place on a serving plate and top with cilantro and lemon juice. Serve hot.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the skewers on the baking sheet in a single layer. Baste them with oil or butter.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the shrimps are cooked well.
- Top with cilantro and lemon before serving.
- Preheat the grill on high heat.
- Grill for 2 to 3 minutes on both sides or until the prawns are cooked through.