Sweet corn soup step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Sweet corn soup is a popular Indo-Chinese soup made with corn kernels and vegetables. This vegan and gluten-free soup is a hugely popular soup in India and is a part of most restaurant menus in India. This corn soup has a burst of flavor - sweet, spicy, tangy. This winter comfort food is great as an appetizer or a light meal.
The recipe I am sharing here is for the fusion Indian-Chinese corn soup and it is quite different from the regular corn soup. The combination of pungent sauces with Indian flavors from ginger and garlic makes it very unique.
Read of for more on Indo-Chinese cuisine, ingredients, useful tips, and step-by-step instruction to make this delicious and healthy soup. For a variation, try the Manchow soup recipe.
About Indo-Chinese cuisine
Indian-Chinese or Indo-Chinese food is a distinct fusion cuisine where Chinese seasoning and cooking techniques are adapted to Indian taste buds. Popularly known as Desi Chinese, they are one of the most famous forms of street food in India.
This cuisine originated from the Chinese community in Kolkata (India) and is very popular not just in India, but within Indian communities outside of India. This fiery fusion of food has pungent sauces like soy sauce and vinegar combined with very Indian flavors like ginger, garlic, and chili making the most unique-tasting dishes.
Corn kernels: I have used frozen corn kernels in this recipe.
Stock: I use vegetable stock to make this soup.
Vegetables: I use carrot, beans, spring onion (scallion), and celery.
Ginger, garlic, and green chili: Ginger and garlic set this soup apart by adding Indian flavors. Adjust the chili as per your preference.
Sauces: I use soy sauce, chili sauce, and vinegar.
Cornstarch: Cornstarch slurry is used to thicken the soup.
Step by step instructions
1. To make the corn paste, Blend together ½ cup corn kernels and ¼ cup water into a smooth paste. Set it aside.
2. Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil. Once it heats, add onion, celery, ginger, garlic, and spring onion. Saute for one minute.
3. Add corn kernels, carrot, beans, and corn paste.
4. Add vegetable stock and water. Mix well.
5. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode for 3 minutes. Do a natural release of pressure for 10 minutes, then do a quick release.
6. Put the Instant Pot back to saute mode. Add the corn slurry, vinegar, soy sauce, chili sauce, salt, and pepper.
7. Mix well and let the IP be in saute mode for 3 minutes.
I have used frozen corn in this recipe. Fresh corn can also be used; however, you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Add the vegetables of your choice. I added carrot, beans, spring onion (scallion), and celery. Other vegetables that can be used are mushroom, bell pepper, cabbage, etc.
You can adjust the consistency of the soup by increasing or reducing the amount of cornflour used.
Instead of making corn paste, creamed corn from a tin can be also be used. I prefer to make a fresh paste and use it.
I use vegetable stock; however, chicken stock can also be used to make this soup.
To make this soup on a stovetop, follow this recipe and simmer on medium heat for 18-20 minutes instead of pressure cooking. The rest of the recipe remains the same.
Click here for more soup recipes.
It can be served as an appetizer. Alternatively, pair it with grilled cheese or roasted potatoes for a complete meal.
Any leftover soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat the soup in a saucepan over medium heat and adjust the consistency if it thickens.
Yes. Follow this recipe and simmer for 18-10 minutes instead of pressure cooking.
This soup is:
- easy to make
- delicious and satisfying
- vegan, gluten-free
- great for meal prep
Instant Pot Sweet Corn Soup
- 1½ cups corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger minced or finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- ½ cup celery finely chopped
- ½ cup spring onions finely chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- ½ cup carrots finely chopped
- ½ cup green beans finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili sauce
- ½ teaspoon pepper powder
- Salt to taste
To make corn paste
- ½ cup corn kernels
- ¼ cup water
To make cornstarch slurry
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ¼ cup water
- To make the corn paste, Blend together ½ cup corn kernels and ¼ cup water into a smooth paste. Set it aside
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil
- Add onion, celery, ginger, garlic, and spring onion. Saute for one minute
- Add corn kernels, carrot, beans, and salt
- Add vegetable stock and water. Mix well
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode for 3 minutes
- Do a natural release of pressure for 10 minutes, then do a quick release
- Meanwhile, make the cornstarch slurry. Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl and mix well making sure there are no lumps
- Put the Instant Pot back to saute mode
- Add the slurry to the IP and mix well
- Add vinegar, soy sauce, chili sauce, and pepper
- Mix well and let the IP be in saute mode for 3 minutes
- Soup is ready to be served