Indo-Chinese vegetable fried rice is a beloved dish abundant with vegetables and can be prepared effortlessly with just a few ingredients. This flavorful and colorful dish is a perfect way to use any leftover rice or veggies in the fridge.
Additionally, it is a versatile dish that can be served as a main course or a side dish. Whether you are a vegetarian or not, vegetable fried rice is a delicious and satisfying meal that everyone can enjoy.
Indo-Chinese vegetable fried rice is a popular and easy dish that features a variety of vegetables and can be prepared effortlessly with only a few ingredients. The recipe utilizes Indian rice, producing a final product with a pulao texture rather than sticky rice like Jasmine rice.
This veg fried rice recipe is a fantastic way to use your leftover rice and veggies. It is versatile enough to serve as the main course or a side dish. Whether you're a die-hard vegetarian or a meat lover, vegetable fried rice is a delightful and fulfilling meal that'll tantalize your taste buds!
Why you will love this recipe?
- This vegan and gluten-free vegetable fried rice is packed with vegetables and is a delicious meal option.
- Veg fried rice is also convenient for meal prepping and packing for lunch.
- Furthermore, this dish is versatile and can be easily customized to suit individual preferences by adding protein sources such as tofu, chickpeas, or tempeh.
Rice: I use cooked Basmati rice for this dish, which works best. Any Indian variety of white or brown rice used for pulao/biryani will work.
Vegetables: I use red onions, carrots, bell peppers, cabbage, green beans, and scallions/spring onions (I have used a mix of green and red bell peppers).
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
How to make vegetable fried rice?
Step 1: Heat oil and add ginger and garlic. Saute on high flame for one minute (image 1).
Step 2: Add onions, carrots, bell peppers, French beans, and scallion whites (images 2 and 3).
Step 3: Stir-fry the vegetables on high heat for 2-3 minutes (image 4).
Step 4: In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, chili sauce, vinegar, and ketchup. Once the vegetables are sauteed, add the sauce mixture, salt, and black pepper (image 5).
Step 5: Mix well and saute for one minute on medium heat (image 6).
Step 6: Next, add the cooked rice and mix well. Toss the rice for 1-2 minutes on medium-high heat (images 7 and 8).
Step 7: Garnish with green onions and serve hot.
Stir-fry the vegetables for 2-3 minutes only. Do not cover them. They should have a crunch in them.
Soy sauce is quite salty. So adjust the salt level accordingly.
I add tomato ketchup to balance the strong flavors. This is optional and can be skipped.
Green chilis can be added for a spicy taste. You can also deseed the green chilies to add flavor while keeping the spice level low. Alternatively, use green chili sauce or chili oil.
This easy veg fried rice recipe can be transformed into various delectable dishes by adding different proteins such as chicken, shrimp, eggs, or pork. Just make sure to fully cook the meat before adding it to the rice. With these protein-packed variations, you can savor the deliciousness of chicken fried rice, shrimp fried rice, egg fried rice, or pork fried rice, all with just a simple tweak to the recipe.
Gobi Manchurian or Veg Manchurian: Crispy cauliflower florets or veggie balls coated in a tangy and spicy sauce; gobi Manchurian and veg Manchurian are popular Indo-Chinese dishes that pair well with this rice dish.
Chilli chicken or chili paneer: Spicy and flavorful chili chicken is a favorite Indo-Chinese dish made with boneless chicken, bell peppers, onions, and a spicy sauce. For a vegetarian option, chili paneer is an excellent choice, made using cubes of paneer (Indian cottage cheese) stir-fried with bell peppers, onions, and a spicy sauce.
Pair it with this keto stir fry made with chicken and veggies for a delicious meal.
If you have leftover rice in your fridge, it can be easily used for this recipe. If you plan to use fresh white rice for fried rice, start by washing the rice under cold running water until the water runs clear and soak it for 20-30 minutes. Then, bring 8-10 cups of water to a boil in a large pot, add the drained rice, and simmer it over low heat for about 12-15 minutes until it reaches an al dente texture. After draining, spread the cooked rice on a tray and let it cool to room temperature before using it for your fried rice recipe.
Veg fried rice can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. It also freezes well and can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
More Indo-Chinese Recipes
If you tried this Veg Fried Rice Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Vegetable Fried Rice (Indo-Chinses Street-style)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 medium carrots finely chopped
- ½ cup green beans finely chopped
- ½ cup cabbage finely chopped
- ¼ cup scallion whites finely chopped
- ½ cup bell peppers finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot chili sauce
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon scallion greens for garnish
- Keep the cooked rice ready. See this section for instructions.
- Finely chop the ginger, garlic, onion, scallion whites, green beans, carrots, cabbage, and bell peppers.
- Take soy sauce, vinegar, red chili sauce, and tomato ketchup in a small bowl. Mix well and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a large wok on high heat. Add ginger, and garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Add onion, carrot, bell peppers, green beans, cabbage, and scallion whites. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture, salt, and pepper. Mix well and saute for one minute.
- Add the cooked rice and mix gently. Toss the rice on high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with scallion greens. Serve hot.