Indo-Chinese egg fried rice is a versatile dish that combines elements of Indian cuisine and Chinese cuisine. With its simple preparation and use of basic ingredients, it is a convenient way to use leftover rice. It can be enjoyed as a standalone main course or paired with complementary Indo-Chinese dishes like chilli chicken or gobi Manchurian.
Indo-Chinese egg fried rice is a popular dish made using a variety of vegetables and eggs. It is a variation of vegetarian fried rice made using Indian rice, producing a light and fluffy texture, which is quite different from the sticky rice texture (like Jasmine rice). This egg fried rice recipe is fantastic for leftover rice and veggies. It is versatile enough to be served as the main course or a side dish.
At its most basic, egg fried rice consists of cooked rice and scrambled eggs tossed with soy sauce and garnished with scallions. This copycat egg-fried rice recipe aims to capture the essence of a typical street style dish. The key lies in perfectly tender yet chewy rice, soft and fluffy eggs, and charred vegetables' smokiness.
Why you will love this recipe?
- This gluten-free egg fried rice is straightforward to make and gets done in 15 minutes once the prep work is done.
- Egg fried rice is also convenient for meal prepping and packing for lunch.
- Furthermore, this dish is versatile and can be easily customized to suit individual preferences by adding protein sources such as meat or seafood.
Rice: I use cooked Basmati rice, which works best for this recipe. Any Indian variety of white or brown rice used for pulao/biryani will work. Do not use sticky rice, like Jasmine rice or sushi rice, to make this dish.
Eggs: Eggs are the star ingredient of this recipe.
Vegetables: I use red onions, carrots, bell peppers, cabbage, green beans, and scallions/spring onions (I have used a mix of green and red bell peppers).
Sauces: I use soy sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup, and hot chili sauce.
Aromatics: I use finely chopped ginger root and garlic cloves.
Step 1: Heat oil and add ginger and garlic. Saute on high flame for one minute (image 1).
Step 2: Add onions, carrots, bell peppers, French beans, and scallion whites (images 2 and 3).
Step 3: Stir-fry the vegetables on high heat for 3-4 minutes (image 4).
Step 4: Once the vegetables are sauteed, add the sauce mixture, salt, and black pepper powder (image 5).
Step 5: Mix well and saute for one minute on medium heat (image 6).
Step 6: Next, add the cold rice and mix well. Toss the rice for 1-2 minutes on medium-high heat (images 7 and 8).
Step 7: Move the rice to the side of the pan and add one tablespoon of oil. Add the beaten egg once the oil heats. Scramble them and cook until almost cooked (images 9 and 10).
Step 8: Mix the scrambled eggs with the rice and toss everything on high heat for 1-2 minutes (images 11 and 12).
Step 9: Turn off the heat and garnish with green onions.
Add the whisked eggs after adding the rice and scramble them. This way, they won't get the deep color from sauces.
Stir-fry the vegetables for 2-3 minutes only. Do not cover them. They should have a crunch in them.
Soy sauce is quite salty. So, adjust the salt level accordingly.
I add tomato ketchup to balance the intense flavors. This is optional and can be skipped.
Green chilis can be added for a spicy taste. You can also de-seed the green chilies to add flavor while keeping the spice level low. Alternatively, use green chilli sauce or chili oil.
This easy egg fried rice recipe can be transformed into various delectable dishes by adding proteins such as chicken, shrimp, or pork. Just make sure to thoroughly cook the meat before adding it to the rice. With these variations, you can savor the deliciousness of chicken fried rice, shrimp fried rice, or pork fried rice, all with just a simple tweak to the recipe.
What to serve with egg fried rice?
Gobi Manchurian or Veg Manchurian: Crispy cauliflower florets or veggie balls coated in a tangy and spicy sauce; gobi Manchurian and veg Manchurian are popular Indo-Chinese dishes that pair well with this rice dish.
Chilli chicken or chili paneer: Spicy and flavorful chili chicken is a favorite Indo-Chinese dish made with boneless chicken, bell peppers, onions, and a spicy sauce. For a vegetarian option, chili paneer is an excellent choice, made using cubes of paneer (Indian cottage cheese) stir-fried with bell peppers, onions, and a spicy sauce.
If you have leftover rice in your fridge, it can be easily used for this recipe. If you plan to use fresh white rice for fried rice, start by washing the rice under cold running water until the water runs clear and soak it for 20-30 minutes. Then, bring 8-10 cups of water to a boil in a large pot, add the drained rice, and simmer it over low heat for about 12-15 minutes until it reaches an al dente texture. After draining, spread the cooked rice on a tray and let it cool to room temperature before using it for your fried rice recipe.
Egg fried rice can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. It also freezes well and can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
More Indo-Chinese Recipes
If you tried this Egg Fried Rice Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Egg Fried Rice (Indo-Chinese Style)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoon oil divided
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 small carrots finely chopped
- ½ cup green beans finely chopped
- 1 cup cabbage finely chopped
- ¼ cup scallion whites finely chopped
- ½ cup bell peppers finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon hot chili sauce
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon scallion greens for garnish
- Keep the cooked rice ready. See this section for instructions.
- Finely chop the ginger, garlic, onion, scallion whites, green beans, carrots, cabbage, and bell peppers.
- Take soy sauce, vinegar, red chili sauce, and tomato ketchup in a small bowl. Mix well and set it aside.
- Crack eggs in a bowl and beat them well.
- Heat oil in a large wok on high heat. Add ginger and garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Add onion, carrot, bell peppers, green beans, cabbage, and scallion whites. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture, salt, and pepper. Mix well and saute for one minute.
- Add the cooked rice and mix gently. Toss the rice on high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Move the rice to the side of the pan and add one tablespoon of oil. Make sure the oil in the pan is on the heat.
- Add the beaten eggs. Scramble them and cook until they are almost done.
- Mix the eggs with the rice and toss everything on high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with scallion greens. Serve hot.