Matar paneer in Instant Pot step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Matar paneer is a classic North Indian curry made using Indian cottage cheese and peas in an onion-tomato base. Also called mutter paneer, it can be served with naan, roti, or jeera rice. Add a side of kachumber or vegetable raita for a complete meal.
This gluten-free vegetarian curry is great not only for everyday meals but also for parties and gatherings. It is a good source of vegetarian protein and is very filling.
Mattar paneer is traditionally made on a stovetop and takes longer to be done. My easy version gets done in less than 30 minutes with minimal monitoring. Making it in Instant Pot saves a lot of time. This recipe has minimal spices and steps to follow yet gives you the perfect restaurant-style mattar paneer.
Read on for ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and useful tips to make delicious restaurant-style muttar paneer curry in Instant Pot. Also, click here if you are looking for a delicious potato cauliflower curry recipe.
Paneer: Use store-bought or homemade paneer.
Peas: I have used frozen peas. If you are using fresh peas, adjust the pressure cooking time.
Spices: Whole spices used are cloves and black cardamom. Powdered spices used are garam masala, ground coriander, and chili powder.
Onion, tomato, and ginger: They form the base of the masala sauce.
Cream: This adds richness to the curry.
Grind together onion, ginger, tomatoes, black cardamom seeds, and cloves into a smooth puree (steps 1,2).
Heat ghee and add the onion-tomato puree and mix well. Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes (steps 3,4).
Add cream, ground coriander, chili powder, and salt. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes (steps 5,6).
Add the peas and one cup of water. Mix well and deglaze the pot (steps 7,8).
Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode for 2 minutes. Do a quick release of pressure and open the lid once the pin drops (step 9).
Put the Instant Pot back in saute mode. Add the paneer cubes and simmer for 5 minutes (steps 10,11).
Cancel saute mode once the curry thickens. Add garam masala and cilantro (step 12).
Traditionally, the paneer cubes are shallow-fried and then added to the curry. However, I have skipped it in my recipe and added fresh paneer itself. You may choose to shallow fry it before using it.
You can make the sauce in bulk, portion it and freeze it for up to 3 months. When you want to make mutter paneer, simmer the sauce with peas and paneer. This way, the curry will be ready in 10 minutes.
I have used frozen peas in this recipe. If you choose to use fresh peas, pressure cook it for 4 minutes instead of 2. The rest of the recipe remains the same.
Cream adds richness to this dish. You can replace it with half-and-half or coconut cream too.
Use black cardamom for the best-tasting curry. However, if you do not have access to black cardamom, substitute it with 4 green cardamoms. You may also use one teaspoon of ground cardamom instead.
To make it vegan, substitute paneer with extra firm tofu, cream with coconut cream, and ghee with regular cooking oil.
This matar paneer recipe is:
- very easy to make,
- uses minimal spices,
- restaurant-quality and great for parties or gatherings.
EASY Matar Paneer in Instant Pot
To grind together:
- 3 medium onions
- 2 inch ginger
- 4 large tomatoes
- 4-5 cloves
- 2 black cardamom (moti ilaichi)
- Remove the skin of black cardamom and separate the seeds.
- Grind together onion, ginger, tomatoes, black cardamom seeds, and cloves into a smooth puree. Set it aside.
- Cut the paneer into 1-inch cubes and set them aside. Soak them in warm water for 10-15 minutes.
Making the curry
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add ghee.
- Add the onion-tomato puree and mix well. Cover and saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Add cream, ground coriander, chili powder, and salt. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the peas and one cup of water.
- Mix well and deglaze the pot.
- Secure the IP lid. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode for 2 minutes.
- Do a quick release of pressure and open the lid once the pin drops.
- Add the paneer cubes. Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Let the curry sauce thicken as per your liking.
- Cancel saute mode and add garam masala and cilantro.
- Mix well and serve hot.