Instant Pot vegetable biryani step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Biryani is a rice-based dish that originated in the Indian subcontinent. It is made with long-grain rice (mostly Basmati rice) and meat or vegetables that are cooked in whole spices. It is usually made by layering rice and vegetables/meat and slow-cooking in low heat.
The recipe I am sharing here is an easy version of the biryani and is made in an Instant Pot. I am doing the layering of vegetables and rice in the Instant Pot itself and then pressure cooking it. The result is absolutely delicious, yet a very easy-to-make vegetable biryani.
With this method, we can still create the lovely variation of texture, color, and flavor that we get in an authentic biryani. This dish pairs really well with vegetable raita. Read on for ingredients, useful tips, and FAQs to make this easy one-pot veg biryani in an Instant Pot. Also, check out this easy recipe to make Instant Pot paneer biryani.
Vegetables: I have used potato, carrot, cauliflower, green beans, and peas.
Rice: Use Basmati rice to make biryani.
Yogurt: Use plain yogurt, preferably with a very slight tang.
Spices: There are a variety of whole spices used - black cumin seeds, bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, pepper, star anise, and black cardamom.
Onion, ginger, garlic: They form the base of the gravy.
Ghee: I make this biryani with ghee; however, you may replace it with any cooking oil of your choice.
Other ingredients: Mint leaves, coriander leaves, saffron, and milk.
Step by step instructions
Set Instant Pot in saute mode and add ghee. Add whole spices (black cumin, clove, green cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, star anise, and bay leaf) and saute for a few seconds (steps 1,2).
Next, add onions and saute until golden brown (steps 3,4).
Once the onions are brown, add ginger, and garlic and saute for 1 minute (step 5).
Add cashew, almonds, salt, turmeric, and chili powder (step 6). Mix well and add the vegetables (steps 7,8).
Saute the vegetables for 1-2 minutes (step 9).
Add whisked yogurt. Mix well and deglaze the pot. Spread the vegetables to cover the IP. After this stage, do not mix (steps 10,11).
Add coriander leaves and mint leaves. Spread them over the vegetables (step 12).
Drain water from soaked rice and add to the IP. Spread evenly (step 13).
Next, add saffron milk. Add 2 cups of water gradually (step 14).
Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode and cook for 5 minutes. Do a quick release of the pressure (steps 15,16).
Perfectly cooked veg biryani
Use Basmati rice. It has a great aroma and long grains that when cooked correctly, are separate, non-lumpy, and do not stick to each other.
Wash the Basmati rice thoroughly in running water, till the water is clear. Once it is washed, soak it for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
Black cumin, also called shah jeera, adds a beautiful flavor to this dish. However, if you are unable to find it, replace it with regular cumin seeds.
For an authentic tasting biryani, use all the spices I used in this recipe. But if you do not have access to any of the spices, you may skip them.
When adding water, make sure you add it gradually and slowly. We do not want to mix up the layering.
Do a quick release of the pressure once the Instant Pot beeps. Doing a natural release will lead to the rice getting overcooked.
Serve this delicious biryani with Instant Pot chicken leg quarters for a protein-balanced meal.
Click here for more one-pot meals recipes.
Store any leftover biryani in the refrigerator for up to five days. Store it in an air-tight container. You may reheat it either in a steamer or microwave.
Potato, carrot, green beans, peas, and cauliflower florets are some of the common vegetables used. You can also add mushrooms, corn, capsicum, zucchini, etc. too. Regardless of the vegetables used, make sure not to skip potatoes.
This veg biryani is:
- an easy one-pot meal
- gluten-free and can be made vegan by replacing ghee with regular cooking oil
- perfect for potlucks
Instant Pot Vegetable Biryani
- 2 cup basmati rice
- 1 small potato chopped
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 6-8 green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- ¼ cup peas
- 8-10 florets cauliflower
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon black cumin shah jeera
- 6 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 6 cloves
- 2 small pieces cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 star anise
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic grated or ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- 2 inch ginger grated or 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- ½ cup yogurt whisked
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder or as per taste
- 2 tablespoon cashew
- 1 tablespoon almond
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup coriander leaves chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves chopped
- 2-3 tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon saffron
- Wash the rice thoroughly and soak in sufficient water for 30 minutes
- Soak the saffron strands in warm milk. Set aside
- Set Instant Pot in saute mode and add ghee
- Add whole spices (black cumin, clove, green cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, star anise, and bay leaf) and saute for a few seconds
- Add onions and saute until golden brown
- Add ginger, garlic and saute for 1 minute
- Add cashew and almond and mix well
- Add salt, turmeric and chilli powder and mix well
- Add chopped vegetables and saute for 1-2 minutes
- Add whisked yogurt. Mix well
- Spread the vegetables to cover the IP. After this stage, do not mix
- Add coriander leaves and mint leaves. Spread them over the vegetables
- Drain water from soaked rice and add to the IP. Spread evenly
- Add saffron milk
- Add 2 cups of water gradually. It is important not to add all the water in one go as this may mix up the layering
- Close the IP lid on and seal the vent
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode and cook for 5 minutes
- Do a quick release of the pressure
- Veg biryani is ready to be served