Easy paneer biryani made in the
Why you will love this recipe?
- Paneer biryani is known for its rich flavors and aromatic spices. This recipe ensures the flavors are well-infused into the rice and paneer, resulting in a delicious and fragrant dish.
- Using an
Instant Potmakes the cooking process faster and more convenient than traditional stovetop cooking methods.
- Making paneer biryani in the
Instant Potmeans you can cook the rice, paneer, and spices in one pot, making it a convenient option for busy days.
Paneer: You can use either store-bought paneer or homemade paneer.
Rice: Use Basmati rice to make biryani.
Spices: I have only used powdered spices here - garam masala, ground cardamom, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. You can replace them with store-bought biryani masala powder.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step 1: Heat ghee in the
Step 2: Add whisked yogurt, powdered spices (garam masala, ground cardamom, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground turmeric, and chili powder), and salt. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes (images 3 and 4).
Step 3: Drain the water from the paneer cubes and add it to the pot. Mix gently and saute for one minute. Spread the paneer to cover the IP. After this stage, do not mix (images 5 and 6).
Step 4: Add the fresh cilantro leaves and fresh mint leaves. Spread them over the paneer (image 7). Drain water from the soaked rice and add to the IP. Spread evenly (image 8).
Step 5: Add saffron milk. Add 2 cups of water gradually. It is important not to add all the water in one go as this may mix up the layering (image 9). Close the IP lid and set the
Step 6: Do a quick pressure release. Serve hot with sides of your choice (images 11 and 12).
I have used garam masala, ground cardamom, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg in this recipe. You may replace these ground spices with store-bought biryani masala.
Use long-grain Basmati rice to make paneer biryani. It has a great aroma and long grains that, when cooked correctly, are separate, non-lumpy, and do not stick to each other. Wash the Basmati rice thoroughly in running water, till the water is clear.
When adding water, make sure you add it gradually and slowly. This will help the layers to stay intact.
Paneer biryani can be garnished with fried onions and fried nuts for added flavor and texture. Before pressure cooking, you can also add a few drops of rose water or kewra essence.
Click here to check out my recipe to make paneer lasagna in Instant Pot. It is a perfect vegetarian showstopper for your parties, gatherings, and family dinners. Also, check out my collection of more Instant Pot paneer recipes.
What to serve with paneer biryani?
Raita: Raita is a yogurt-based side dish that helps balance the spiciness of this
Salan: Salan is a spicy curry often served alongside biryani. It is made with a variety of vegetables or meat, such as mirchi ka salan (made with chili peppers), bagara baingan (made with eggplant), or chicken salan. These curries add an extra layer of flavor and moisture to the biryani.
To make this biryani vegan, replace ghee with oil, paneer with extra firm tofu, and yogurt with any plant-based yogurt.
Yes, biryani can be made ahead of time. You can prepare it a few hours in advance and reheat it before serving. The flavors often deepen and meld together when the biryani is allowed to sit for some time, making it even more delicious.
Yes, you can use brown rice instead of basmati rice in paneer biryani. However, it's important to note that brown rice requires a longer cooking time and more liquid compared to basmati rice. Adjustments may be needed in the recipe to ensure that the rice cooks properly and achieves the desired texture.
To store paneer biryani, allow it to cool to room temperature. Then, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate it for 3-4 days. You can also freeze it for up to 2 months. When reheating, use a microwave or stovetop to warm the biryani while adding a splash of water to prevent it from drying out.
More paneer recipes
If you tried this Paneer Biryani Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Instant Pot Paneer Biryani
- Wash the rice thoroughly and soak in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
- Soak the saffron strands in warm milk. Set aside.
- Cut the paneer into small cubes. Soak it in warm water for 10-15 minutes.
- Set Instant Pot in saute mode and add ghee.
- Add onions and saute until golden brown.
- Add ginger, garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add whisked yogurt, powdered spices, and salt. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain the water from the paneer and add it to the pot.
- Mix gently and saute for one minute.
- Spread the paneer to cover the IP. After this stage, do not mix.
- Add the cilantro and mint leaves. Spread them over the paneer.
- Drain water from the soaked rice and add to the IP. Spread evenly.
- Add saffron milk.
- Add 2 cups of water gradually. It is important not to add all the water in one go as this may mix up the layering.
- Close the IP lid and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode and cook for 5 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure.
- Paneer biryani is ready to be served.