Instant Pot methi rice step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Methi rice is a simple one-pot rice-based dish made with fenugreek leaves. It is gluten-free, vegan, healthy and a powerhouse of nutrients. This mildly spiced pulao is made with just a handful of spices and ready in 20 minutes (with 5 minutes of hands-on time) when made in an Instant Pot. This is one of the easiest ways to include green leafy vegetables in your diet.
This easy-to-make methi pilau tastes great just on its own or can be served with raita or plain yogurt. It is great for lunchbox and potlucks. Read on for meal prep options, useful tips, different cooking methods, and FAQs to make this delicious one-pot fenugreek leaves rice.
Methi: Or fenugreek leaves, frozen or fresh leaves can be used. See tips below on how to prep them.
Rice: I use Basmati rice to make pulao.
Peas: Peas adds a mild sweetness that balances the mildly bitter taste of methi. This is an optional ingredient and can be skipped.
Spices: The only spice I use here is cumin seeds and garam masala.
Garlic and green chili: I use garlic to flavor this dish. See FAQs section below for variations. Adjust the green chili as per your preference.
Lemon/lime juice: Lemon or lime juice is added once the rice is cooked. This helps balance the mildly bitter taste of fenugreek leaves.
I am using frozen methi leaves; however, fresh leaves also can be used. Thaw the methi and squeeze out the water before using it. For fresh methi, clean the leaves and roughly chop the leaves. For every cup of frozen greens, replace it with 2 cups of fresh greens.
I use green peas which adds a natural sweetness. However, this is an optional ingredient and can be skipped.
This dish is great for meal prep. Wash and soak the rice overnight, thaw the methi leaves in the refrigerator or chop them and store them in the refrigerator. This way, they can be quickly prepared in the morning and packed for lunchboxes.
The rice:water ratio I am using in Instant Pot is 1:1¼. This gives me perfectly cooked slightly chewy rice. You can reduce the water by ¼ cup for a firmer texture or increase the water by ¼ cup for soft cooked rice.
You can make this dish in a stovetop pressure cooker. Follow this recipe with a 1:1½ rice:water ratio and cook for two whistles in the cooker. To make this dish in a stovetop pan, follow this recipe with a 1:1½ rice:water ratio and cook covered for 15-18 minutes (or until all the moisture is absorbed).
Add other vegetables like carrot, beans, cauliflower, etc. to make a wholesome meal.
Click here for more one-pot meals recipes.
Methi rice tastes great on its own. It can, however, be served with raita or plain yogurt. You can also pair it with a simple salad for a complete meal.
Methi rice can be store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Cool it completely and place it in an air-tight container before storing.
Yes. Soak ¼ cup Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) in water for 30 minutes and use it in this recipe.
Yes. In this recipe, I have used frozen methi leaves. For every cup of frozen greens, use two cups of fresh greens. When using fresh methi, make sure you remove the thick stems and chop the leaves roughly.
Yes. In this recipe, I have not used onions but have used garlic as I like the flavor it imparts to the dish. You may skip the garlic altogether. You may also use some ginger and hing (asafetida) when sauteing cumin seeds.
This Instant Pot methi rice is:
- vegan and gluten-free
- one-pot meal
- very easy to make with meal prep options
- perfect for lunchboxes
Step by step instructions
1. Set the Instant Pot in saute mode (normal) and add oil.
2. Once it heats, add cumin seeds and garlic. Saute for 1 minute.
3. Add cashew and saute until it is lightly golden
4. Add methi leaves, peas, green chili, garam masala, and salt.
5. Saute for 1 minute.
6. Drain the water from soaked rice and add it to the IP. Add water and mix well.
7. Close the lid and pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. Do a quick release of the pressure.
8. Open the lid and gently fluff up the rice using a fork.
9. Add lemon juice and mix gently.
Methi rice is ready to be served
Instant Pot Methi Rice
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 1 cup methi leaves frozen (see notes)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3-4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoon cashew
- ½ cup green peas
- 1-2 green chili chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Wash the rice thoroughly. Soak it in water for 20-30 minutes
- If using frozen methi, thaw it completely and squeeze out excess water. If using fresh methi, wash them and roughly chop the leaves
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode (normal) and add oil
- Once it heats, add cumin seeds and garlic. Saute for 1 minute
- Add cashew and saute until it is lightly golden
- Add methi leaves, peas, green chili, garam masala, and salt
- Saute for 1 minute
- Drain the water from soaked rice and add it to the IP
- Add 2½ cup water
- Close the lid and pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. Do a quick release of the pressure
- Open the lid and gently fluff up the rice using a fork
- Add lemon juice and mix gently
- Serve methi rice with plain yogurt or raita