Vegan baked zucchini fries step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Vegan baked zucchini fries are healthy fries where zucchini sticks dipped in nut-based milk, gram flour, bread crumbs are baked to perfection. They are great as an appetizer or snack. These crispy crunchy fries need 10-15 minutes of prep time and are ready to be served in 15 minutes. Serve it with ketchup or dip of your choice.
I use besan (gram flour or chickpea flour) instead of plain flour to coat the zucchini sticks which gives them an extra crunch. Most vegan fries call for the addition of nutritional yeast but my recipe here doesn't use it. So here is my version of the easiest and healthiest fries.
Zucchini: Use tender and firm zucchini with bright green skin.
Besan: I use besan (gram flour/chickpea flour) instead of plain flour to coat the zucchini. This adds a great crunch to them.
Almond milk: I use almond milk; however, any dairy-free milk will work.
Breadcrumbs: I use homemade breadcrumbs. If you are looking for a gluten-free option, use gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Step by step instructions
Cut the zucchini into approximately 3-inch long pieces in fries shape
Combine salt and chili powder with besan. Place the besan mixture, almond milk, and breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl (step 1).
Dip the zucchini stick in besan first making sure it is fully coated (step 2).
Next, dip it in almond milk. Lastly, dip it in breadcrumbs and coat it completely (steps 3,4).
Place the zucchini stick on the baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the zucchini. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes (steps 5,6).
Tips and tricks
Make sure the zucchini sticks have a uniform thickness. This way, they will take the same time to bake. Also, make sure the zucchini is not cut into small sticks - they may overcook and turn too soft.
Roll the zucchini sticks well making sure it is completely coated.
Use besan (gram flour/chickpea flour) for the extra crunchy texture.
Baking time depends on the oven. Keep a close eye after 14-15 minutes. Over-baked zucchini fries may turn soggy.
These zucchini fries are:
- healthy alternative to regular fries
- can be easily made gluten-free by using GF breadcrumbs
Click here for the recipe for air fryer sweet potato fries.
Serve with tomato ketchup or a dip of your choice
Vegan Baked Zucchini Fries
- 3 zucchini
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup besan gram flour/chickpea flour
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven at 390 F or 200 C. Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Cut the zucchini into approximately 3-inch long pieces in fries shape
- Combine salt and chilli powder with besan
- Place the besan mixture, almond milk, and breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl
- Dip the zucchini stick in besan first making sure it is fully coated
- Next, dip it in almond milk
- Lastly, dip it in breadcrumbs and coat it completely
- Place the zucchini stick on the baking tray
- Repeat with all the zucchini sticks
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes
- Serve with ketchup or dip of your choice