Gobi tikka or grilled Indian cauliflower bites step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Gobi tikka is an easy and delicious snack made with cauliflower florets marinated in yogurt and spices. Also called tandoori gobi, this scrumptious dish can be served as a snack and is a vegetarian version of the popular chicken tikka.
'Tandoori' refers to a style of Indian cooking where meat or vegetables marinated in yogurt and spices are cooked in a clay oven (called tandoor). In this recipe, I am using cauliflower and marinating it in tandoori spices. However, I am roasting it on the Weber barbecue instead of the tandoor. The result is perfectly cooked cauliflower with a smoky flavor that we get when cooked in a clay oven.
I have earlier shared whole roasted cauliflower with Indian spices. Here is my version of cauliflower tikka made with cauliflower florets. Read on for ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and useful tips to make this perfect vegetarian gobi tikka for your summer parties and barbecue. Pair them with nimbu paani (Indian lemonade) for the perfect summer barbecue.
Cauliflower: Use fresh cauliflower and cut them into big florets.
Yogurt: Make sure the yogurt is thick.
Besan: Besan (gram flour/chickpea flour) is a key ingredient. Roast the besan on low heat to remove the raw smell.
Spices: I use tandoori masala powder and chili powder.
Oil: I have used olive oil; however, you may replace it with any cooking oil of your choice.
Step by step instructions
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade - yogurt, besan, tandoori masala powder, chili powder, oil, and salt (step 1).
Mix well making sure there are no lumps (step 2).
Add the cauliflower florets to it and mix well. Make sure to coat the entire cauliflower (steps 3,4).
Thread the marinated cauliflower onto skewers and place the skewers on a veggie tray (step 5).
Prepare the barbecue for indirect cooking over medium heat - approximately 400F/200C (step 6).
Place the tray in the barbecue over indirect medium heat with the lid closed. Let it roast for 20-25 minutes (steps 7,8).
A key element of the marinade is besan (gram flour/chickpea flour). It is important to roast the besan well taking care it does not burn. Alternatively, you can grind ready-to-use roasted Bengal gram (hurigadle/puthani) into a fine powder and use that instead of besan.
Use thick plain yogurt in the marination. Greek yogurt can also be used.
Cut the cauliflower into large florets. If the florets are small, they will fall off the skewers.
The time taken to roast the cauliflower florets depends on their size. Keep an eye on it after 17-18 minutes to make sure you don’t overcook it.
You can also follow this recipe and make gobi tikka in an oven. Bake them in a preheated oven at 400 F (200 C) for 20-25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is cooked through.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Place the leftover tikka in an air-tight container and store. You can reheat it in the oven or an air-fryer. You can also place it on low heat on a griddle/tawa to reheat.
Yes. Follow this recipe and bake the cauliflower in a preheated oven at 400 F (200 C) for 20-25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is cooked through.
This dish is:
- a great vegetarian starter or snack,
- easy to make and delicious,
- great for summer barbecues and parties.
Tandoori Gobi Tikka / Grilled Indian Cauliflower bites
- 1 large cauliflower
For the marinade
- ¾ cup yogurt
- 3 tablespoon besan gram flour/chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon tandoori masala
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder or to taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- Wash the cauliflower and remove the leaves and thick stem.
- Cut them into thick florets.
- Dry roast the besan for 2-3 minutes, until the raw smell goes.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade. Mix well.
- Add the cauliflower florets to it and mix well.
- Make sure to coat the entire cauliflower.
- Let it marinate for 15-20 minutes.
Roasting in Weber Bbq
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect cooking over medium heat - approximately 400 F/200 C.
- Thread the cauliflower onto the skewers and place the skewers on a veggie tray.
- Place the tray in the barbeque over indirect medium heat with the lid closed.
- Let it roast for 20 minutes.
- If the cauliflower begins to char, cover it with aluminum foil and cook for further 5 minutes or till the cauliflower is cooked through.
- Serve with yogurt dip.