Ridge gourd moong dal step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Ridge gourd dal is a simple and healthy dal made with moong dal (petite yellow lentils). When made in an Instant Pot, it is ready in less than 20 minutes, with just 5 minutes of hands-on time. It is vegan, gluten-free, and one of the easiest lentil dishes.
This wholesome yellow dhal is loaded with health benefits and is a good source of plant-based protein. Also called heerekayi tovve in Kannada or beerakaya pappu in Telugu, this South Indian dal is creamy, mildly spiced, and very common in South-Indian households.
Ridge gourd is a common vegetable in India and is cooked in several ways, including chutney, fritters, raita, curries, and dal. It is called turai in Hindi, heerekayi in Kannada, jhinge in Bengali, beerakaya in Telugu, and peerkangai in Tamil. Considered very healthful and loaded with several benefits, it is rich in dietary fiber, water content, iron, and vitamins. The peel of this vegetable is also very healthful and is used in several ways. This dish is a great way to include this healthy vegetable (including the peel) in your diet.
Read on for ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and useful tips to make this hearty and nutritious vegan dahl in Instant Pot.
Moong dal: I use moong dal (yellow lentils) to make this dish; however, you may choose to make it with toor dal too (pigeon pea).
Ridge gourd: Also known as heerekayi in Kannada and turai in Hindi, this is the key ingredient of this dish.
Tomato: This is an optional ingredient but I highly recommend using it.
Coconut: I use freshly grated coconut in this dish. You may replace fresh coconut with desiccated coconut, in which case grind it using warm water.
Spices: The spices used are mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chili, and hing.
Other ingredients: Lime/lemon, cilantro, ginger, green chili, and curry leaves.
Grind together the ingredients of masala paste (coconut, green chili, ginger, black pepper, and cumin seeds) into a smooth paste. Set it aside (steps 1,2).
Set the Instant Pot on saute mode. Add moong dal and dry roast it for 2 minutes. Take the roasted dal out of the pot and wash it well (steps 3,4).
Next, add oil to the IP and add mustard seeds. Add dried chili, hing and curry leaves. Saute for a few seconds (step 5).
Add the dal, ridge gourd, tomatoes, turmeric, salt, and the ground masala paste (steps 6,7,8).
Add 5 cups of water and mix well (step 9).
Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode on high pressure for 5 minutes. Do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release (steps 10,11).
Open the lid. Add the lemon juice and cilantro (step 12).
Select fresh and tender ridge gourd to make the dal.
Peel the thick ridges and keep the skin intact. If you peel the entire skin, the ridge gourd will melt when cooked.
Moong dal can be replaced with toor dal or chana dal in this recipe. In that case, pressure cook for 8 minutes instead of 5 minutes.
You can make this dal on a stovetop pressure cooker. Follow this recipe and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
Check this easy recipe of bottle gourd dal made in Instant Pot.
Click here to browse through my collection of Instant Pot lentil recipes.
Yes. Follow this recipe and pressure cook for two whistles.
This ridge gourd dal is:
- very easy to make,
- naturally gluten-free and vegan,
- healthy, delicious, and comforting.
Ridge Gourd Moong Dal (Instant Pot)
- 1 large ridge gourd
- 1½ cup moong dal
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ lemon or lime
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- 5 cups water
For masala paste
- ½ cup coconut fresh or frozen
- 1-2 green chili or as per taste
- Small piece ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½-1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1-2 dry red chili
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon asafetida hing
- Wash the ridge gourd and remove the thick ridges, keeping the skin intact. Cut into large cubes and set them aside.
- Grind together the ingredients of masala paste (coconut, green chili, black pepper, and cumin seeds) into a smooth paste using ½ to 1 cup of water. Set it aside.
Making the dal
- Set the Instant Pot on saute mode. Add moong dal and dry roast it for 2 minutes. Take the roasted dal out of the pot and wash it well.
- Next, add oil to the IP and add mustard seeds.
- Add dried chili, fenugreek seeds, hing, and curry leaves. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add the dal, ridge gourd, tomatoes, turmeric, and salt.
- Add the ground paste and 5 cups of water.
- Mix well and secure the IP lid.
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Open the lid. Add the lemon juice and cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice.