Instant Pot cabbage dal step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Cabbage dal is a wholesome and healthy dal made with green cabbage. This yellow dal is made using toor dal (arhar dal or pigeon pea). When made in an Instant Pot, this dal is ready in 20 minutes (with less than 5 minutes of hands-on time).
This one-pot dal can be paired with either plain steamed rice or roti/chapati. Also called cabbage kootu, this South Indian dahl is very easy to make. It is vegan, gluten-free and a good source of plant-based protein. This dal has a creamy texture and is mildly spiced. This is a great way to include cabbage in your diet, especially if you don't like cabbage or have fussy eaters.
Cabbage is one of the healthiest vegetables and is loaded with benefits. This versatile vegetable is packed with nutrients, and antioxidants, and is high in fiber. It is also high in vitamin C and folates. It is known to help reduce inflammation, improve digestive health, and help lower blood pressure. This dish is a great way of adding cabbage to your diet, especially for picky eaters.
Read on for ingredients, useful tips, recipe video, and step-by-step instructions to make this simple and comforting vegan dal. For a variation, check out the recipe of ridge gourd dal made using petite yellow lentils.
Cabbage: Thinly sliced cabbage is used in this dish. See the FAQs section below on how to select cabbage.
Toor dal: I make this dish with toor dal or pigeon pea. Moong dal (yellow lentils can also be used).
Masala Paste: I make a masala paste using coconut, cumin seeds, black pepper, and green chili.
Tempering: (seasoning or tadka) I use mustard seeds, curry leaves, and hing to make the tadka.
Other ingredients: Tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander leaves (cilantro), and lemon/lime juice.
Step by step instructions
1. Grind together coconut, green chili, cumin seeds, and black pepper into a smooth paste.
2. Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
3. Add hing and curry leaves. Saute for a few seconds.
4. Add pigeon pea lentils, cabbage, tomatoes, turmeric powder, and salt.
5. Add the ground paste and 6 cups of water. Mix well and secure the IP lid.
6. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode on high pressure. Pressure cook for 8 minutes.
8. Do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release.
9. Add coriander leaves and lemon juice.
Cabbage kootu is ready to be served.
I have used toor dal (pigeon pea) for this recipe. It can be replaced with chana dal (Bengal gram), moong dal (yellow dal), or a mix of dals. Keep in mind that the cooking time may vary if the dal is changed.
You can make this dal on a stovetop pressure cooker. Follow this recipe and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
Make sure the cabbage is finely shredded. I use a food processor to shred it thinly and evenly.
Click here to browse through my collection of Instant Pot lentil recipes.
Click here for more Instant Pot recipes.
Select cabbage that is firm and dense. It should feel heavy and should be free from any blemish or spots. The cabbage leaves must be tightly packed and must be bright and crisp. If a cabbage feels soft from the outside, it is not good and cannot be used. Make sure that there are only a few leaves that are free from the head and the rest should be tightly packed.
This kootu or dhal can be paired with both steamed rice and roti/chapati. You can have it on its own too for a low-carb meal.
Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Cool it completely and place it in an air-tight container before storing. It is also freezer-friendly and can be frozen for up to three months. To reheat frozen dal, transfer it to a saucepan and add little water. Simmer on low heat for a few minutes.
Yes. Follow this recipe and pressure cook for three whistles.
This Instant Pot cabbage dal is:
- easy to make and delicious
- vegan and gluten-free
- wholesome, filling, and healthy
- easily paired with both steamed rice and roti
Instant Pot Cabbage Dal
- 2 cups toor dal
- ½ small cabbage (approximately 4 cups)
- 1 large tomato
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 6 cups water
For masala paste
- ½ cup coconut fresh or frozen
- 1-2 green chili
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon hing (asafetida)
- 10 curry leaves
- Rinse the toor dal thoroughly in water and set it aside
- Grind together coconut, green chili, cumin seeds, and black pepper into a smooth paste. Set aside
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil
- Add mustard seeds and let it splutter
- Add hing and curry leaves. Saute few seconds
- Add dal, cabbage, tomatoes, turmeric powder, and salt
- Add the ground paste and 6 cups of water
- Mix well and secure the IP lid
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode on high pressure
- Pressure cook for 8 minutes. Do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release
- Open the lid. Add the lemon juice and coriander leaves
- Serve hot