Palak paneer stir-fry step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Palak paneer stir fry is an easy and simple dish made with spinach and Indian cottage cheese. Palak paneer is a popular Indian curry made using spinach puree and paneer. The recipe I am sharing here is an easy take on it where the final dish is dry and very similar to sabzi. I have adapted this dish from the classic aloo palak (potato-spinach dry curry) and used cottage cheese (paneer) instead of potatoes.
This wholesome paneer palak sabzi is very versatile and can be served in many ways. It pairs well with rice or roti. It can also be used as a sandwich filling or in wraps. You can also use it to make quesadillas.
This spinach and cheese stir fry is not just flavorful and delicious, it is very healthy too. It is rich in protein (from cottage cheese) and iron (from spinach). It gets done in less than 30 minutes and is perfect for weeknight meals.
Paneer is very versatile and can be used in so many ways. I have earlier shared the recipe for paneer pizza, and here is an easy side dish to try with it. Read on for ingredients, useful tips, serving suggestions, and step-by-step instructions to make this delicious palak sabzi.
Spinach: I have used frozen spinach; however, fresh spinach can also be used.
Paneer: Or Indian cottage cheese. It is available in all Indian grocery stores and most supermarkets.
Onion, garlic, ginger: They form the base of the sabzi.
Spices: I use cumin seeds, coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala.
Lemon/lime juice: This is an essential ingredient and cannot be skipped.
Step by step instructions
1. Heat oil in a frying pan or kadhai and add cumin seeds.
2. Add onion, garlic, and ginger. Saute until the onion is translucent.
3. Add spinach, coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt.
4. Mix well and cover it. Let it cook for 6-7 minutes (or until the spices and spinach is done).
5. Once the spinach cooks, add paneer and mix gently. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
6. Turn off the heat. Add garam masala and lemon juice. Mix gently and serve
Useful tips to make palak paneer stir fry
I am using frozen spinach in this dish. Make sure to defrost it before using it. Fresh spinach can also be used. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
I have used 10 oz of frozen spinach. If you are using fresh spinach, you will need around 1 pound to get the equivalent amount.
I use equal quantities of spinach and cheese. You can increase the amount of spinach and make using a 2 to 1 ratio.
A combination of greens can also be used. Methi (fenugreek leaves), collard greens and chards can be added along with spinach.
For a vegan version, use firm tofu or potatoes instead of cottage cheese.
Do not skip lemon/lime juice. It balances the greens very well, adds a nice tang to the dish, and also helps absorb the iron from the spinach.
Click here for more easy side dish recipes.
Store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Yes. Roughly chop the spinach before using it.
This paneer palak sabzi is:
- unique and different from regular palak paneer
- super easy and quick
- healthy, nutritious, and delicious
- paired with rice or roti
- perfect for sandwiches and wraps
Palak Paneer Stir Fry
- 1½ cups paneer (approximately 250 grams)
- 1½ cups frozen spinach (10 oz)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or as per taste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ lemon
- Defrost the spinach and set it aside. If using fresh spinach, roughly chop it.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or kadhai and add cumin seeds
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger. Saute until the onion is translucent
- Add spinach, coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt
- Mix well and cover it. Let it cook for 6-7 minutes (or until the spices and spinach is done)
- If the spinach is too dry, add ¼ cup water and cover
- Once the spinach cooks, add paneer and mix gently
- Let it cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat
- Turn off the heat. Add garam masala and lemon juice
- Mix gently and serve hot