Rich, decadent, and easy-to-make meethi seviyan is made with vermicelli, sugar, and ghee. This delicious dish is topped with nuts and flavored with cardamom and saffron. This popular Awadhi dessert is perfect for celebrations and festivals.
Meethi semiya, also known as kimami sevai, is quite similar to vermicelli kheer, with the main difference being that this sweet vermicelli does not use milk. It gets done in 10 minutes when you use roasted vermicelli.
Why you will love this recipe
- Meethi semiyan is incredibly simple to prepare, and when made in an
Instant Pot, it can be ready in just 10 minutes.
- Meethi seviyan offers a sweet treat without being overly heavy or rich.
- It is an excellent choice for parties and special occasions.
Roasted vermicelli: I use roasted vermicelli. If the vermicelli is not roasted, heat 1 tablespoon of ghee and roast it for 4-5 minutes before using.
Ghee: This dish tastes best with ghee. However, you may replace it with cooking oil for a vegan option.
Sugar: I like to use raw sugar. However, regular sugar can also be used.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step 1: Heat ghee, add the chopped nuts and saute for one minute. Add raisins and saute for a few seconds (image 1). To this, add the roasted vermicelli and saute for one minute (image 2).
Step 2: Add sugar, cardamom powder, saffron, and water. Mix well (images 3 and 4).
Step 3: Set the
Expert Tips to make sweet vermicelli
Make sure the lid and sealing ring of the
Use roasted vermicelli. If it is not roasted, first roast it in one teaspoon of ghee until it is golden brown.
As an optional ingredient, you can use 1-2 tablespoons of khoya/mawa to add richness to the semiyan. You can use dried rose petals and 'chandi ka vark' (edible silver) as a garnish.
This dish can be easily made vegan by replacing the ghee with any neutral cooking oil.
Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat it well either in a steamer or in the microwave before serving. Always serve the sweet vermicelli warm.
More Indian dessert recipes
If you tried this Meethi Seviyan / Sweet Vermicelli Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Meethi Seviyan / Sweet Vermicelli (Instant Pot)
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add ghee.
- Add the chopped nuts and saute for one minute. Add raisins and saute for a few seconds (until they puff up).
- To this, add the roasted vermicelli and saute for one minute.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, saffron, and water. Mix well.
- Secure the lid of the Instant Pot and cancel the saute mode.
- Set the IP to pressure cook mode for one minute.
- Do a quick release of pressure once the Instant Pot beeps.
- Open the lid and gently mix the seviyan. Serve warm.