Coconut milk pulao is a wholesome and delicious rice-based dish. Made without onion and garlic, this easy coconut pulao is ready in 20 minutes and is perfect for lunchboxes, potlucks, and gatherings. Naturally gluten-free and vegan.
Why you will love this recipe
- Coconut milk adds a creamy and rich flavor to the pulao, enhancing its taste and making it a delightful dish.
- This pulao is vegan and naturally gluten-free.
- It is a straightforward and quick recipe, making it perfect for busy weeknight dinners or special occasions.
Rice: I have used Basmati rice. However, any long-grain rice can be used.
Coconut milk: Store-bought or homemade coconut milk can be used.
Spices: Whole spices that go into this pulao are cumin seeds, bay leaf, star anise, fennel seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Use Basmati rice or any variety of long-grain rice to make this coconut pilaf. Also, it is important to soak the rice for 20-30 minutes.
The total amount of liquid ratio in this recipe is 1:1¼. For 2 cups of Basmati rice, I have used a total of 2½ cups of liquid (1½ cups of coconut milk and 1 cup of water).
This dish is great for meal prep. Wash and soak the rice overnight, cut the vegetables, and store them in the refrigerator. This way, they can be quickly prepared in the morning and packed for lunch boxes.
What to serve with coconut milk pulao?
Raita: Raita is a yogurt-based condiment that complements the flavors of this dish. You can make cucumber raita, tomato-onion raita, or any other variety.
Dal: Serve cabbage pulao with a side of dal fry or any other dal of your choice.
You can make this dish in a stovetop pressure cooker. Follow this recipe with a 1 to 1.5 rice-to-water ratio and cook for two whistles in the cooker. To make this dish in a stovetop pan, follow this recipe with a 1 to 1.5 rice-to-water ratio and cook covered for 15-18 minutes (or until all the moisture is absorbed).
To make coconut milk pulao in a slow cooker, start by sautéing the spices and veggies in a pan until fragrant. Then, transfer the mixture to the slow cooker. Add rice, coconut milk, and water, and give it a good stir. Cook on the low setting for 2-3 hours or until the rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid. Keep an eye on the rice's progress to avoid overcooking.
Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. Cool it completely and place it in an air-tight container before storing it.
Instant Pot rice recipes
If you tried this Coconut Milk Pulao Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Coconut Milk Pulao (Instant Pot)
- Wash the rice thoroughly. Soak it in water for 20-30 minutes.
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode (normal) and add oil.
- Once it heats, add cumin seeds and whole spices (bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, fennel seeds, and cloves). Saute for a few seconds.
- Add cashews and fry until they are golden (1 minute).
- Add ginger and green chili. Add the vegetables (carrot, peas, green beans, and corn kernels). Saute for two minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and water. Mix well and deglaze the pot.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice. Add rice and salt, and give it a good mix.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on high for 6 minutes. Do a quick release of the pressure.
- Mix the rice gently before serving.