Balehannu rasayana | banana salad step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Balehannu rasayana is a traditional banana salad made with ripe banana and coconut. This refined sugar-free dish is sweetened with jaggery and honey and can be put together in less than 10 minutes. Balehannu means banana in Kannada and 'rasa' means juice in Sanskrit. Balehannu rasayana is a Karnataka-style juicy ripe banana salad that is perfect for festivals and vrat (fasting).
All the ingredients that go into making this rasayana compliments each other very well without overpowering each other. This versatile dish can not only be served as a dessert, it goes very well with roti or chapati too.
Read on for ingredients, variations, and tips for making this authentic recipe.
Banana: Use ripe bananas to make rasayana.
Jaggery and honey: I use jaggery powder and little honey to sweeten this dish.
Cashew and raisins: They add texture. You may add almonds too which goes well with rasayana.
Coconut: I use fresh coconut. Desiccated or dried coconut can be used but the rasayana tastes best with fresh coconut.
Cardamom powder: This is optional but adding it adds a nice aroma and flavour.
Roasted poppy seeds: This is also an optional ingredient. Dry roast the poppy seeds until it is lightly golden before adding.
A small amount of milk can be added. If you want to add milk to rasayana, use full-fat milk. Also, make sure the milk is cold.
You may skip honey to make it vegan-friendly. If you want to use milk, any nut-based milk can be used. Almond milk and coconut milk works well for this dish.
Tips and tricks
Use bananas that are just ripe. We need the bananas to hold their shape. Overripe bananas can make the rasayana mushy.
If you are adding poppy seeds, first dry roast them until lightly golden and cool completely. Do not add the poppy seeds without roasting them.
Rasayana is ready in less than 10 minutes and is very easy to put together. It is best to serve it fresh. Make small amounts that you will use immediately as it loses the taste if stored.
Desiccated or dried coconut can be used instead of the fresh coconut but this dish tastes best with fresh coconut.
This dish is:
- very easy to make and is ready in less than 10 minutes
- delicious and healthy sweet treat
- easily modifiable to make it vegan-friendly
- loved by kids
Step by step instructions
1. Peel and chop the banana. Place them in a bowl.
2. Add jaggery powder and honey. Mix well.
3. Add coconut, roasted sesame seeds, cardamom powder, cashew, and raisins
4. Mix well taking care not to mash the bananas
Balehannu rasayana is ready to be served
Balehannu Rasayana | Banana Salad
- 2 bananas ripe
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon jaggery
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup coconut fresh
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon cashew chopped
- 1 tablespoon raisin
- Dry roast poppy seeds until it is golden. Let it cool completely
- Peel and chop the banana. Place them in a bowl
- Add jaggery powder and honey. Mix well
- Add roasted sesame seeds, coconut, cardamom powder, cashew, and raisins
- Mix well taking care not to mash the bananas
- Serve immediately