Sweet lassi is a refreshing yogurt-based drink perfect for hot summer days. It is thick, creamy, and has just the right amount of sweetness to satisfy your cravings. It also doubles up as a delicious dessert. You only need three main ingredients and five minutes to create this irresistible drink.
Also known as meethi lassi, this indulgent drink is creamy, thick, and incredibly refreshing. Originating from Northern India, lassi is a yogurt-based drink that comes in two main varieties - sweet and salted. The sweet version is made by blending dahi (yogurt) with sugar and may include fruits, while the salty lassi has salt and ground spices like cumin powder and black salt mixed in. Either way, lassi is a delicious and nutritious beverage that's popular all over India.
Why you will love this recipe?
- Proper Consistency: The consistency of the lassi is just right - not too thick that it's hard to drink and not too thin that it's watery. This recipe will give you a lassi that has a thick, creamy texture and is smooth and frothy.
- Balanced Sweetness: The sweetness level in this recipe is just right - not too sweet that it overpowers the tanginess of the yogurt, but sweet enough to satisfy your sweet cravings.
- Quick and easy: This Punjabi lassi is so easy to make and takes under 5 minutes, making it perfect for beating the summer heat. It uses simple ingredients that are easily available.
Yogurt: Use plain whole milk yogurt to make creamy lassi. Thick yogurt will help make the lassi creamy. Low-fat yogurt can also be used for a lighter version.
Milk: Whole milk is used to thin out the lassi. It can be replaced with low-fat milk or even water; however, in that case, the lassi may not be as creamy.
Sweetener: Sugar is the most common sweetener used. Brown sugar, powdered sugar, coconut sugar, maple syrup, or honey can also be used.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step 1: Take plain yogurt, milk, sugar, and cardamom powder in a blender. Blend for a couple of minutes until it is smooth and frothy.
Step 2: Pour Indian lassi into tall glasses. Garnish the serving glasses with the nuts of your choice. Serve immediately.
Variations of lassi
Lassi cocktail: Convert this drink into an elegant watermelon lassi cocktail.
Vegan lassi: To make vegan lassi, replace yogurt with cashew yogurt, coconut yogurt, or dairy-free yogurt. Use almond milk or coconut milk to thin it out.
Greek yogurt lassi: You can also use Greek yogurt instead of plain yogurt. However, in that case, you may have to adjust the amount of water or milk needed to bring it to the right consistency. For this recipe, you will need ½ cup of extra liquid.
Use cold yogurt and cold milk straight from the fridge for best results. If you use water to thin the lassi, use cold water straight from the fridge or use ice cubes.
Meethi lassi keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Give it a good shake before serving.
I have used dried rose petals and pistachio as garnish. These are optional and can be skipped. You can also use other dry fruits of your choice to top the lassi.
Add a layer of clotted cream (malai) or heavy cream on top of the lassi for that traditional touch.
Traditionally, lassi is made using a wooden churner called mathani. I am using a regular blender in this recipe. You can use a wire whisk or an immersion blender instead of the blender to make lassi.
Yes. It can be made and stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Make sure you give it a good mix just before serving.
More yogurt-based summer drinks
If you tried this Sweet Lassi / Meethi Lassi Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
- Take yogurt, milk, sugar, and ground cardamom in a blender. Blend for a couple of minutes until it is smooth and frothy.
- Pour the lassi and garnish with nuts of your choice. Serve immediately.