Pav bhaji masala powder is a fragrant and tangy spice blend that enhances the taste of the beloved Indian street food, pav bhaji. Create your own authentic pav bhaji masala at home with this simple recipe and elevate your pav bhaji to new levels of flavor.
Pav bhaji masala powder is widely available in Indian stores all over the world, but it is very easy to put together and can be made with just a handful of spices. It has a very unique flavor and is a blend of whole and powdered spices. It goes without saying this dish tastes best with freshly made masala powder.
This masala powder is definitely the key to making the best-tasting pav bhaji. It can also be used to make tava pulao, which is also a famous street food from Mumbai.
Whole spices: Coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, black cardamom, and fennel seeds.
Powdered spices: Black salt, nutmeg, amchur, and garlic powder.
Step 1: Heat a pan and dry roast red chili until it puffs up and becomes crisp (image 1).
Step 2: Next, add coriander seeds and cumin seeds to the same pan. Dry roast them until they are aromatic (image 2). To the same mixture, add seeds of black cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorn, and fennel seeds. Toast them for another minute (image 3). Set everything aside and let it cool down completely (image 4).
Step 3: Grind into a fine powder in a spice grinder/coffee grinder or mixie (images 5 and 6).
Step 4: Once the whole spices are ground, add the powdered spices to the blender. Grind for a few seconds so that everything combines well (images 7 and 8).
Dry roast the whole spices on low-medium heat until they are fragrant.
Make sure the spices are cooled completely before grinding them into a fine powder.
Store the masala powder in a clean and dry airtight container. Always use a clean and dry spoon when using it. Any moisture content will reduce the shelf life of the pav bhaji masala powder.
If you tried this Pav Bhaji Masala Powder Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Homemade Pav Bhaji Masala Powder
- 4 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 10-12 Kashmiri red chili (or any mild dried red chili)
- 3 black cardamom discard skin and use seeds
- 2 inch cinnamon
- 10 cloves
- 2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds saunf
- 2 tablespoon amchur
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1 teaspoon black salt
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and dry roast red chili until they puff up and become crisp. Set them aside on a plate.
- Next, add coriander seeds and cumin seeds to the same pan. Dry roast until they are aromatic.
- To the same mixture, add seeds of black cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorn, and fennel seeds. Toast for a further one minute.
- Set everything aside along with the red chilies and let it cool down completely.
- Grind into a fine powder in a spice grinder or mixie.
- Once the whole spices are ground, add the powdered spices to the blender (amchur, garlic powder, nutmeg powder, and black salt).
- Blend for a few seconds so that everything combines well.
- Store in an air-tight container.