Lamb vindaloo is a tasty and spicy Goan dish with Portuguese roots. To prepare this dish, the lamb is typically marinated in a flavorful vindaloo masala paste and cooked until the meat is tender and soaks up all the flavors.
My tried and tested recipe strikes a perfect balance of flavors, with a slight tang from vinegar and tamarind that complements the heat and flavor from the spices without overpowering them.
Why you will love this vindaloo recipe?
Instant Potlamb vindaloo recipe is packed with flavor and is easy to prepare.
- It can also be adjusted to suit individual preferences. For example, reduce the chilies to make the curry milder.
- The taste and flavor are way better than your favorite takeaway vindaloo. Make
Instant Potvindaloo lamb at home that is better than any takeaway.
Lamb: I am using lamb stew meat in this
Spices: The whole dry spices that go into making the masala base are dried chili, whole coriander seeds, whole cumin, cinnamon stick, green cardamom, cloves, and black pepper. Ground turmeric is used when making the curry.
Souring agents: Both vinegar and tamarind paste are used in the masala paste. White wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar can be used. Tamarind paste can be substituted with lemon juice.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step 1: To a blender, add the vindaloo paste ingredients - whole red chilies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, black peppercorns, fresh ginger, garlic, vinegar, and tamarind paste. Add ½ cup of water and grind into a smooth paste (images 1 and 2).
Step 2: In a large bowl, add the lamb stew meat pieces. Pour the ground vindaloo paste and mix well. Let the lamb marinate for at least 30 minutes. You can also marinate it overnight in the refrigerator (image 3).
Step 3: Heat oil and add the chopped onions. Saute for 5 minutes until the onion begins to brown (image 4).
Step 4: Add the marinated meat, ground turmeric, sugar, and salt. Saute for 3 minutes until the meat begins to brown (images 5 and 6).
Step 5: Add ½ cup of water. Mix well and deglaze the pot. Cancel saute mode and set the
Step 6: Do 5 minutes of natural pressure release, then do a quick release. Open the lid once the pressure drops. Top with cilantro and mix well (images 9 and 10).
Use Kashmiri red chili (or any dried chili that is mild). It gives a nice and bright color to the curry yet does not make it too hot. To increase the heat level of the curry, use regular red chili powder or cayenne pepper as per your taste buds.
This dish works best with boneless lamb stew meat pieces that are cut into medium-sized pieces (1.5-2 inch pieces).
If the curry is too thin after pressure cooking, set the
The beauty of this homemade vindaloo is that you can choose the type of meat you like. Follow this authentic lamb vindaloo recipe and replace lamb with chicken or pork meat to make chicken vindaloo and pork vindaloo. Click here to see how to make Instant Pot chicken vindaloo that can be made using chicken breast or thigh.
You can store this lamb vindaloo curry in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. It also freezes well and can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
To make delicious lamb vindaloo curry in a slow cooker, do the prep and saute the onions and meat in a
If you tried this Lamb Vindaloo Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Lamb Vindaloo in Instant Pot
For vindaloo paste:
Make vindaloo paste and marinate:
- To a blender, add the vindaloo paste ingredients - dried red chili, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, ginger, garlic, vinegar, and tamarind paste.
- Add ¾ cup of water and grind into a smooth paste.
- In a large bowl, add the lamb pieces. Pour the ground paste and mix well.
- Let the lamb marinate for at least 30 minutes. You can also marinate it overnight in the refrigerator.
Making the curry:
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil.
- Once it heats, add the onions. Saute for 5 minutes, until the onion begins to brown.
- Add ground turmeric. sugar, and salt.
- Add the marinated lamb and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of water. Mix well and deglaze the pot.
- Cancel saute mode and set the Instant Pot to Meat mode for 15 minutes.
- Do a natural release of pressure for 5 minutes, then do a quick release.
- If the curry is too thin, set the Instant Pot back to saute mode for 4-5 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and serve.