Instant Pot aloo baingan step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Aloo baingan is an easy Indian curry made with potatoes and eggplant (or brinjal) cooked in aromatic spices. 'Aloo' means potato and 'baingan' means eggplant in Hindi, and these are the main vegetables used in this naturally gluten-free and vegan dish. Brinjal sabzi can be paired with roti or Basmati rice for a delicious meal in under 30 minutes.
Making healthy and delicious baingan masala in the Instant Pot saves time and needs minimal effort. This hearty aubergine curry is great for a weeknight dinner and fuss-free nutritious meal. This aloo baingan recipe can be made in a stovetop cooker too.
There are many variations to make this humble eggplant masala and here is mine. Read on for ingredients, useful tips, and step-by-step instructions to make this healthy and delicious brinjal curry made without frying the eggplants.
Potato and eggplant: These are the main ingredients of this dish.
Onion and tomatoes: They form the base of the curry.
Spices: Whole spice used is cumin seeds. The powdered spices used are ground coriander, chili powder, turmeric, and garam masala.
Kasoori methi: Or dried fenugreek leaves. This is an optional ingredient and can be skipped.
Other ingredients: Ginger, garlic, cilantro, and lime/lemon.
Step by step instructions
Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil. Add cumin seeds, onion, ginger, and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes, until the onion softens (steps 1,2).
Add tomatoes, Kasoori methi, coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, sugar, and salt. Mix well and saute for 2 minutes (steps 3,4).
Add potato and eggplant cubes. Add ⅓ cup water and mix well (step 5).
Secure the IP lid and set it to pressure cook mode for 3 minutes (step 6).
Do a quick release of the pressure and open the lid once the pin drops. Add garam masala, lime juice, and cilantro (steps 7,8).
Cut the eggplants into similar-sized chunks, about 1-1.5 inches. This way, they will be cooked well and evenly. Cutting them into small pieces will turn them mushy.
I have used medium-sized globe eggplants for this dish and they work the best for this dish.
We need to add very little water before pressure cooking. Eggplants release a lot of moisture so adding more water can make the curry thin.
I use a small amount of sugar which balances the tangy tomatoes really well. This is optional and can be skipped.
Big chunks (1-1.5 inches) will need 3 minutes of pressure cooking, with a quick release of pressure to be cooked perfectly without turning mushy.
Follow this recipe and cook on a stovetop pressure cooker for one whistle. To make it in a pan, follow this recipe and add 1 cup of water. Cover and simmer until the potatoes and eggplant are completely cooked (about 20 minutes).
This brinjal curry can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days. This curry is also freezer-friendly and can be frozen for up to 3 months.
It is really important to cut them into big pieces of 1-1.5 inches. Also, do a quick release of the pressure. If you let the pressure release naturally, the eggplants will be overcooked.
Yes. Skip onion and garlic, and cook ginger in tomatoes. The rest of the recipe remains the same.
This Instant Pot potato and eggplant curry is:
- vegan and gluten-free
- ready in less than 30 mins
- perfect for an easy weeknight dinner
Instant Pot Aloo Baingan (Potato Eggplant Curry)
- 2 medium eggplant cut into 1-1.5 inch pieces
- 2 large potatoes cut into 1-1.5 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon ginger finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon kasoori methi
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup water
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil.
- Once it heats, add cumin seeds.
- Next, add onion, ginger, and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes, until the onion softens.
- Add tomatoes, Kasoori methi, coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, sugar, and salt. Mix well and saute for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot well.
- Add potato and eggplant cubes. Add ½ cup water and mix well.
- Secure the IP lid and set it to pressure cook mode for 3 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps, turn it off and do a quick release.
- Add garam masala, lime juice, and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Serve with Basmati rice or roti.