Easy and delicious methi chicken or methi murg is made using fenugreek leaves. This unique and delectable curry is very delicious. It can be made using fresh, frozen, or dried fenugreek leaves.
Why you will love this recipe
- Methi chicken combines the robust flavors of fenugreek leaves (methi), chicken, and a mix of aromatic spices to create a rich and fragrant dish that's a favorite in Indian cuisine.
- The bitterness of fenugreek leaves is perfectly balanced with the sweet and savory elements in the dish, creating a unique and well-rounded flavor profile.
- This dish can be made using fresh, frozen, or dried fenugreek leaves, allowing you to prepare it year-round and adapt it to the availability of ingredients.
Step 1: In a large bowl, combine yogurt, coriander powder, chili powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix well, making sure there are no lumps (images 1 and 2).
Step 2: Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Cover and let it marinate for 15-20 minutes (images 3 and 4).
Step 3: Heat oil and add whole spices (cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and pepper). Add onion, ginger, and garlic. Saute until the onions soften (images 5 and 6).
Step 4: Add tomatoes, methi leaves, and salt. Mix well (images 7 and 8).
Step 5: Add the marinated chicken and saute for 2 minutes (images 9 and 10).
Step 6: Add water and mix well. Pressure cook for 5 minutes. Do a natural release of pressure (images 11 and 12).
This dish is great for meal prep. You can marinate the chicken overnight, place it in the fridge, and prep the methi depending on what you use. This way, the dish is ready in no time.
Fresh methi can also be used to make this dish; however, I prefer frozen methi as it is very convenient to use. Cleaning fresh methi is tedious and needs a lot of time.
If you want to thicken the sauce, set the IP back to saute mode for 3-4 minutes after pressure cooking. Keep stirring every minute or so.
What to serve with methi chicken
Accompany with bread: Fresh and warm homemade naan bread is a classic choice to accompany methi murg curry.
Add a side of salad or raita: A side salad like kachumber or onion raita can add freshness and crunch to the meal. Alternatively, slice cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions and place them on a wide plate. Sprinkle salt and lemon juice and serve.
If you are using frozen methi, defrost them completely and squeeze out all the excess water. If you are using fresh methi, wash and clean the leaves. Remove the thick and thin stems and separate the leaves. Roughly chop the leaves. For every cup of frozen greens, replace it with 2 cups of fresh greens. If you are using Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves), soak them in water for 15 minutes. Squeeze out all the water after soaking. For every cup of frozen methi, replace it with ¼ cup of Kasoori methi.
To store methi chicken, allow it to cool to room temperature, then transfer it to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3-4 days, ensuring it is tightly covered. For longer storage, you can freeze methi chicken for up to three months in a freezer-safe container. Thaw it in the refrigerator before reheating it.
More chicken recipes
If you tried this Methi Chicken Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Methi Chicken in Instant Pot
- 2 lb chicken bone-in, skinless
- 2 cups fenugreek leaves (see notes)
For the marinade
For the curry
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2-3 small pieces cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 cardamom
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 inch ginger finely chopped or 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 3-4 cloves garlic finely chopped or 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water
Marinating the chicken and pre
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, coriander powder, chili powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix well making sure there are no lumps.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well.
- Cover and let it marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare the methi leaves depending on fresh, frozen, or dried (see notes).
Making the curry
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and add oil.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and pepper. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add onion, ginger, and garlic. Saute until the onions soften (3 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, methi leaves, marinated chicken, and salt.
- Mix well and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of water and deglaze the pot well.
- Secure the IP lid and set it to pressure cook mode for 5 minutes.
- Do a natural release of pressure.
- Open the lid once the pin drops and mix well. If you want to thicken the sauce, set the IP back to saute mode for 3-4 minutes. Keep stirring every minute or so.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.