Laccha Pyaz is a flavorful and popular Indian-style salad that features crisp red onions, fragrant herbs, and aromatic spices, all combined to create a refreshing and zesty side dish.
This no-oil salad is also naturally gluten-free and vegan. Perfect as a side dish for North Indian meals or as a topping for wraps and burgers, lachha pyaz is a versatile and flavorful addition to any dish.
Laccha pyaz is also popularly called masala pyaz in dhabas or streetside eateries. This Indian onion salad is also served with kebabs in Indian restaurants. This simple onion salad uses some basic ingredients and is ready in 5 minutes.
Why you will love this recipe?
- Easy and quick to make: This masala onion salad recipe can be made in just 5 minutes and requires no cooking.
- Flavorful and versatile: The combination of spiced onions, herbs, and spices gives this lachha pyaz a delicious and unique flavor that can be enjoyed as a side dish or used as a topping for wraps, rolls, and burgers.
- Refreshing and crunchy: The fresh and crunchy texture of the onion rings combined with the tangy and spicy flavors make this lachha salad a refreshing and satisfying addition to any meal.
Onion: Use red onions to make masala lachha pyaz.
Spices: I use chaat masala, Kashmiri chili powder, and Indian black salt (kala namak).
Herbs and other ingredients: Cilantro, mint leaves, lemon juice or lime juice, and green chilies.
Step 1: Peel the onion and slice it into roundels (about ¼ inch thick). Separate the roundels and place them in a bowl.
Step 2: Add water and ice cubes. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
Step 4: Drain all the water from it. Add the powdered spices - chili powder, chaat masala, black salt, and salt. Next, add green chili, lemon juice, mint leaves, and cilantro.
Step 4: Mix everything well and serve.
Soaking the onions in ice-cold water not only helps reduce their pungency but also helps make the salad crunchy. Do not skip it.
Do not cut the onion into very thin slices as they will turn watery, and this pickled onion salad will not have the crunch.
It is best to serve this laccha pyaz fresh as the onions will lose their crunch if stored for a long time. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator and use them within the same day.
Not just with main meals, it can be served with Indian appetizers like paneer tikka and added to wraps and burgers. Additionally, you can serve it with Indian street food like chaat or as a side with paratha for a flavorful combination.
If you tried this Lachha Pyaz / Indian Onion Salad Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below.
Laccha Pyaz (Indian Onion Salad)
- Peel the onion and slice them into roundels (about ¼ inch thick). Separate the rings and place them in a bowl.
- Add water and ice cubes. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Drain all the water from the onions by placing them in a sieve. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the spices (chili powder, chaat masala, and black salt), green chili, lemon juice, cilantro, mint leaves, and salt.
- Mix well and serve.