Instant Pot vermicelli upma step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Vermicelli upma is an easy breakfast dish made with vermicelli. This incredibly delicious upma looks like noodles and is loved by the kids. Sevai upma is perfect for breakfast, lunchbox, or even quick dinner. When made in an Instant Pot, this vegan dish is ready in 15 minutes. This shavige upma is a tasty take on the classic dish semolina upma. Upma itself has many other variations - it can be made with quinoa, oats, bread, etc.
Vermicelli is a popular Indian variety of pasta made of wheat. It is similar to spaghetti but is thinner and broken into small bits. The Indian variety is different from the rice vermicelli which is commonly used in Asian cuisine. It is called semiya or sevai in Hindi and shavige in Kannada. It is used to make many Indian dishes, both sweet and savory.
Click here to see the difference between making upma in an Instant Pot versus stovetop. Read on for ingredients, useful tips, and step-by-step instructions to make this delicious semiya upma.
Vermicelli: I have used roasted vermicelli in this dish. If it is not roasted, roast it first until it is golden brown before using it (see tips section below).
Vegetables: I have used onion, green beans, peas, and corn kernels.
Spices: I use mustard seeds and turmeric powder.
Other ingredients: Cashew, ginger, green chili, curry leaves, coriander leaves, and lemon/lime juice.
Use roasted vermicelli. If it is not roasted, first roast it in one teaspoon of oil until it is golden brown.
I have used green beans, peas, and corn kernels, in the recipe. You can also use carrots, capsicum (bell pepper), potatoes, fresh hyacinth beans, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.
I am using cashew in this recipe. This is optional and can be skipped for a nut-free version.
The vermicelli to water ratio is 1:1.5. Do not add more water or the upma will become mushy.
It is important to do a quick release of the pressure. If you do a natural release, the vermicelli will overcook.
Click here for more one-pot meal recipes.
This Instant Pot vermicelli upma is:
- quick and easy
- ready in 15 minutes
- healthy and loaded with veggies
- perfect for lunchboxes
Step by step instructions
1. Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
2. Add curry leaves and cashew. Saute for one minute.
3. Add onions and saute for 3 minutes (until onion is translucent).
4. Add ginger and green chili. Saute for one more minute.
5. Add the vegetables, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well.
6. Add water and deglaze the pot.
7. Add the roasted vermicelli and mix well.
8. Mix well and secure the Instant Pot lid. Set the Instant pot to pressure cook for one minute (on high pressure).
9. Do a quick release of the pressure and open the lid. Add coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix gently
Instant Pot Vermicelli Upma (Semiya Upma)
- 2 cups vermicelli roasted
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 8-10 cashew
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger grated
- 1-2 green chili finely chopped
- ½ cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 8-10 green beans chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 3 cups water
- Set the Instant Pot in saute mode and add oil
- Add mustard seeds and let them splutter
- Add curry leaves and cashew. Saute for one minute
- Add onions and saute for 3 minutes (until onion is translucent)
- Add ginger and green chili. Saute for one more minute
- Add the vegetables, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well
- Add 3 cups of water. Mix well and deglaze the pot
- Add the roasted vermicelli. Mix well and secure the Instant Pot lid
- Set the Instant pot to pressure cook for one minute (on high pressure)
- Do a quick release of the pressure and open the lid
- Add coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix gently
- Upma is ready to be served