Refreshing iced chai tea latte is an easy and delicious drink made with just three simple ingredients - chai concentrate, milk, and ice cubes. This Starbucks copycat recipe has warming flavors from the concentrate. Starbucks chai latte is a delicious change from your regular iced coffee.
It is the perfect drink to cool you down, yet give you the perfect balance of warm flavors from the spices. And if you use homemade concentrate, it will not only be budget-friendly, it will help you control what spices you want to use and how much sweetness the drink will have. Win-win!
Making your own homemade chai concentrate is incredibly easy and a great way to adjust the taste to your liking. I am using a homemade version of chai concentrate in this recipe. However, you can use Tazo chai concentrate for this recipe which is easily available in any grocery store. The concentrate itself can be used in so many ways, including homemade chai latte. Check out some ideas on how to use homemade chai tea concentrate here.
Don't line up at Starbucks or your favorite coffee shop anymore. Make your own Starbucks iced chai tea latte and get your chai fix without stepping out of the comforts of your home on hot days with this easy recipe, and that too at a fraction of the price.
Why you will love this recipe?
- Refreshing and cooling: The iced chai tea latte is a chilled beverage, making it perfect for hot weather or when you want a refreshing drink to cool down.
- Unique flavor: Chai tea itself is known for its distinctive and complex flavor profile. The blend of black tea and spices creates a delicious and aromatic taste that sets it apart from other beverages.
- Customizable sweetness: Making a chai latte at home gives you the flexibility to adjust the sweetness level based on your personal preference. You can add sweeteners like sugar, honey, or flavored syrups to achieve the desired level of sweetness.
- Versatility: The iced chai tea latte can be customized to suit individual tastes. You can choose different types of milk, such as whole milk, almond milk, soy milk, or other non-dairy alternatives, depending on your dietary preferences or requirements.
What is chai?
The word chai means tea and originates from India. Masala chai is spiced tea made with black tea (Assam tea) and whole spices. It is popular in the US as chai tea latte (which actually means tea tea latte!)
The chai spices used can be customized to your personal preference. I use ginger, star anise, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, fennel seeds, and black peppercorns to make my masala chai.
Chai concentrate: You can either make your own chai concentrate or use Tazo classic chai latte concentrate. Tazo concentrate tastes very similar to Starbucks chai concentrate.
Milk: Use 2% milk for that copycat Starbucks taste. Use whole milk for a creamy taste.
Ice cubes: Use as few or as many as you like.
Pour the ice cubes into a serving glass.
Top with black tea concentrate.
Add cold milk and give it a quick stir. Serve immediately.
It is best to make this iced latte when you are ready to drink. Making it ahead of time will melt the ice and dilute the tea.
Freeze some chai concentrate in ice cube trays and use chai ice cubes instead of plain ice for an added kick. This is particularly important if you want to make this drink ahead of time as it will prevent it from getting diluted and give you that strong chai flavor.
Adjust the amount of milk used. For a stronger chai flavor, use more concentrate and for a subtle flavor, use more milk. Similarly, change the type of milk as per your preference. My milk of choice to make it vegan is oat milk.
Chai concentrate is already sweetened so there is no need to add any sweetener. However, if you want it sweeter, add more sweeteners of your choice. You can use brown sugar, maple syrup, or even simple syrup.
Make it a warm drink by skipping ice and using warm milk and concentrate.
Chai tea bags can also be used for this latte recipe. Brew the tea bag in hot water and bring it to room temperature before using it to make this iced drink.
You can top this cold latte with a sprinkle of cinnamon or vanilla extract for added taste. Top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped heavy cream for an indulgent cold drink.
You may also like these summer beverages:
Variations and topping options for iced chai tea latte
To add even more excitement and personalization to your iced chai tea latte, here are some delightful variations and enticing toppings you can consider:
- Vanilla iced chai tea latte: Infuse your iced chai tea latte with a touch of sweetness and a hint of vanilla flavor by adding a splash of vanilla syrup or extract.
- Honey iced chai tea latte: Opt for natural sweetness by drizzling a little honey into your drink. It adds a distinct flavor that complements the spiced chai tea.
- Chocolate iced chai tea latte: Satisfy your chocolate cravings by incorporating a small amount of chocolate syrup into the iced chai tea latte. It introduces a rich and indulgent twist.
- Mint iced chai: Experience a cool and refreshing sensation by adding a few fresh mint leaves or a splash of mint syrup to your iced chai tea latte. It is perfect for those seeking a touch of minty freshness.
- Coconut chai latte: Create a tropical twist by replacing regular milk with coconut milk. The creamy and slightly sweet flavor of coconut beautifully complements the chai tea spices.
- Spiked chai tea latte: Add a shot of bourbon or Baileys Irish Cream to your iced chai tea latte for a boozy kick.
- Whipped cream: Crown the iced chai tea with a dollop of whipped cream to add a creamy and indulgent touch.
- Chocolate shavings: Sprinkle some chocolate shavings or grated chocolate over your iced chai to impart a touch of richness and a hint of chocolate flavor.
- Caramel drizzle: Add caramel flavor by drizzling caramel syrup or sauce over your iced chai tea latte.
- Nuts or seeds: For a delightful crunch and nutty flavor, consider adding crushed nuts like almonds, pistachios, or walnuts, or sprinkle in some chia seeds or pumpkin seeds.
Chai concentrate is black tea (like Assam tea) brewed with warm spices and sweeteners. It has many health benefits from warm spices. While chai concentrates are easily available in stores, it is very easy to make chai concentrate at home. The homemade version helps you control what spices you want to use and also the amount and type of sweetener you want to use.
Most kinds of milk work for this recipe. Dairy milk gives it a creamy taste; however, you can use any kind of milk that is dairy-free to make vegan iced chai. Plant-based milk like oat milk, soy milk, coconut milk, and almond milk works really well for this recipe.
Yes. Chai is made with black tea leaves which have caffeine. An 8 oz cup of black tea has 47 mg of caffeine.
Add a shot of espresso to this drink to make a dirty chai latte.
If you liked this recipe, please don't forget to give a 5-star rating and leave a comment below.
Iced Chai Tea Latte
- ½ cup chai concentrate
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Pour the ice cubes into a serving glass.
- Top with chai concentrate and milk.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply