Lemon rice in Instant Pot step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Lemon rice, also known as chitranna in Kannada, is a simple flavorful dish where rice is seasoned and flavored with a generous amount of lemons. This South Indian-style rice is very easy to make and ready in no time. As the name suggests, the main flavor of this dish comes from lemon juice.
There are two ways of making it - one cooking the rice with lemons and the other is to use leftover rice. In this recipe, I am making it using the first method. When made in an Instant Pot, this flavorful Indian lemon rice dish is ready in 15 minutes. It is great for lunchboxes or potlucks and can be made ahead of time.
I have earlier shared how to make vegan tomato rice in Instant Pot. Here is my version of South Indian lemon rice. Read on for ingredients, useful tips, and step-by-step instructions to make this easy and delicious dish.
Basmati rice: I make this dish with Basmati rice.
Lemon: As the name suggests, this is the main ingredient of this dish.
Peanuts and cashew: They add a great crunch to the dish.
Coconut oil: I prefer to make this dish with coconut oil; however, you can use any cooking oil of your choice.
Spices: I use mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, dry red chili, and turmeric powder.
Other ingredients: Curry leaves, ginger, green chili, coriander leaves (cilantro), and fresh coconut.
Step by step instructions
Put the Instant Pot in saute mode and heat coconut oil. Fry peanuts and cashew until they are crunchy (step 1).
Move them to a side and add mustard seeds. Add chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves, green chili, and ginger (steps 2,3,4).
Add hing, turmeric powder, salt, and lemon juice. Mix well and deglaze the pot (steps 5,6).
Drain the water from soaked rice and add it to the IP (step 7). Add 3 cups of water and mix well (step 8).
Secure the lid and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode for 5 minutes. Do a quick release of the pressure (steps 9,10).
Open the lid and add cilantro and coconut. Gently mix it and serve (steps 11,12).
Use coconut oil. While any oil of your choice works well for this dish, use coconut oil to get the authentic taste.
I have used the juice of two lemons, which was approximately ⅓ cup.
I like to add peanuts and cashew to this dish. You can skip them for a nut-free version.
I use rice to water ratio of 1 to 1.5 in this dish, which gives me soft cooked rice. If you want chewy and firm rice, reduce water so that the rice to water ratio is 1 to 1.25.
Lemon rice tastes great as is, but it can be served with papad or raita. You can also serve it with dal or simple curry for a complete meal.
Follow this recipe but change the rice to water ratio to 1 to 2. Pressure cook for two whistles.
This dish is:
- vegan and naturally gluten-free
- great for lunchboxes
- easy to make and ready in 15 minutes
Easy Lemon Rice (Instant Pot)
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup peanuts raw
- ¼ cup cashew
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1-2 dry red chilli
- 1 tablespoon split black gram urad dal
- 1 tablespoon Bengal gram chana dal
- 8-10 curry leaves
- Small pinch asafetida hing
- 1-2 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon coconut grated
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (cilantro)
- Wash the rice thoroughly in running water. Soak the washed rice in clean water for 15-20 minutes.
- Set Instant Pot in saute mode (normal) and add coconut oil.
- Add peanuts and fry them until they are crunchy.
- Once the peanuts are done, add cashew and fry for a few seconds.
- Move them to one side of the pot.
- Now add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves, green chili, and ginger. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add hing, turmeric powder, salt, and lemon juice. Mix well and deglaze the pot.
- Drain the water from soaked rice and add it to the IP
- Add 3 cups of water and mix well
- Secure the lid and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook mode for 5 minutes. Do a quick release of the pressure.
- Open the lid and add cilantro and coconut.
- Gently mix it and serve.